Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Three more videos up on my channel. I never got the issue figured out, and one of the tutorial sequences (I believe ) was corrupted causing the issue. I will redo it and get it up ASAP. IM not going to post individual links to each video as to not clutter this post to much. Just go to my channel for the steps. Unfortunately, the corrupted sequence is the one for making each video track, using the transform tool to make the basic video (4 sided) tracks to fit into areas like windows and doors. I will post up again as soon as I get that segment redone.

Link to playlist containing steps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiLaEKwlx40&list=PLlAT1c4gEYRRqy1My38rMT6aC8yGQeWhc

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Final segment uploading as I type this. If it seems like I left out anything, or if anyone has questions, please feel free to post here, pm me, or post up on which ever video in question in the comments. I really wish I could have made the last group of videos in a single sequence, but for the life of me couldn't figure out what was going wrong.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks Icepick for taking the time to put this up and the effort you put in making the tuts . I am sure it will help anyone who wants to get started doing this. Making a narrated software tutorial is not as easy as some may think. Great job!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks Icepick for taking the time to put this up and the effort you put in making the tuts . I am sure it will help anyone who wants to get started doing this. Making a narrated software tutorial is not as easy as some may think. Great job!
No problem. Figured why not share what I know, even if it is limited and software specific. The concepts will still be the same with other software, only specifics will change. And it deffinately is tough doing a narrated tutorial. Lol. I had to keep slowing myself down as I'm just used to getting right to what I do. Each step had to be done multiple times to make sure I kept it kind of fluid. I'm probably going to take the final steps and stitch them together after my new laptop gets here. My current one doesn't play well with resource heavy programs, so I ordered a high performance HP 15z j100 (think that's the one) with upgraded video card. Once it arrives I will probably also do more tutorials for using serif movie plus. There's tons of built in features that I also use that I didn't want to include in these tutorials, as they are probably more specific to serif.

Again any questions or comments from anyone, I'm more than happy to answer. Please also thumbs up or down the videos if you watch them.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I apologize ahead of time if this isn't welcomed as it is off the Halloween topic, but wanted to share my new sequence for christmas.

Here is a preliminary version of my new show. Still a lot of little clean up to do, and additional footage to add. Thinking of adding more sceens to another window telling her story up to the point of here "letting go". If anyone can think of additions and improvements, please feel free to let me know. As always, please thumbs up or down and subscribe to see more to come.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks professor and echo. This one is only like 10-20% done. The rest of the family was so enamored with it, I figured i would post it before completion. Any insight on improvements are very welcomed. I'm not going to post anymore updates on this one till it's complete due to, again, its not halloween specific. I hope I'm not rubbing anyone the wrong way with a christmas video.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Wow icepick, up until now I have not thought about Christmas decorating for even a second..but after watching this the possibilities are unlimited!
Thank you Very much for the walk through. Very thoroughly done .

You use photo shop, but
Is there any reason why you are using the serif movieplus instead of Adobe premiere ? I picked up the premiere elements but may just have to buy the movie make based on your tutorial.
thanks again
Rich

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Wow icepick, up until now I have not thought about Christmas decorating for even a second..but after watching this the possibilities are unlimited!
Thank you Very much for the walk through. Very thoroughly done .

You use photo shop, but
Is there any reason why you are using the serif movieplus instead of Adobe premiere ? I picked up the premiere elements but may just have to buy the movie make based on your tutorial.
thanks again
Rich
Thanks for the comments. I use serif movie plus based on I had seen it used for this already. After using photoshop and after effects, I wanted to use a light resource program. Serif had all the features I needed, and is incredibly easy to use. I have been real busy with prop building as of late, but will eventually do some more tutorials showing the features that I used for my mapping.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just getting started for Halloween 2016. I used a projector to loop Halloween music videos last year. I plan on attempting the projection map based on your tutorial. Purchased the serif movie plus software recently. Any tips/ pointers based on your experience?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Just getting started for Halloween 2016. I used a projector to loop Halloween music videos last year. I plan on attempting the projection map based on your tutorial. Purchased the serif movie plus software recently. Any tips/ pointers based on your experience?
Be sure to read some of the comments on the YouTube tutorial steps. I haven't been able to make any more videos due to life getting crazy. I was able to answer and talk people through certain issues. The biggest tip I can give with the software is, if you end up using the mouse wheel a lot (I know I do), make sure you left click in between opening drop down menus. I can't count the times I started scrolling to only find I was making changes to track settings. I still do want to make some more videos showing some of the effects and such that can be done with the software, it's just a time management issue. If you run into any problems, I'll be more than happy to help you out.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Giving this a bump ! Not just to help others but because I have a question as well :eek:.. I bought a new projector that is an Ultra Short Throw.. Totally changes the projection angle on the house since my last one was a short throw..

Question for the master, my new mask looks very much like the first one that you posted.. It now looks like a morphed house (larger at the top and smaller at the bottom..looks like it is leaning forward.). My last mask looked like a normal house drawing that was standard ratio top to bottom. Now I am taking it to photo shop to work on the exterior.. If I want a castle stone or a wooden siding type façade, do I need to tweak the size of the stones on the top vs the bottom to account for the new angle I am projecting from? I assume the answer is check it out and tweak as needed, but just wanted to see if you ever experienced this. I am afraid the morphed house will mean morphed images as well.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Giving this a bump ! Not just to help others but because I have a question as well :eek:.. I bought a new projector that is an Ultra Short Throw.. Totally changes the projection angle on the house since my last one was a short throw..

Question for the master, my new mask looks very much like the first one that you posted.. It now looks like a morphed house (larger at the top and smaller at the bottom..looks like it is leaning forward.). My last mask looked like a normal house drawing that was standard ratio top to bottom. Now I am taking it to photo shop to work on the exterior.. If I want a castle stone or a wooden siding type façade, do I need to tweak the size of the stones on the top vs the bottom to account for the new angle I am projecting from? I assume the answer is check it out and tweak as needed, but just wanted to see if you ever experienced this. I am afraid the morphed house will mean morphed images as well.
You are correct that the angles will transfer to your finished product. If you don't angle your overlay ( say stone walls) they will look off. What I did was draw in reference lines of my siding so I could match my images to. Last year I did a decrepit run down house with peeling painted siding. My reference lines were used to line up my peeling painted siding image, so I even had everything lined up plank for plank.
M image.jpg
Here is a reference image, albeit sideways.

Edit: I don't remember what software your using for video editing, but with serif, if you hold the control key then grab a corner of the video frame, it makes it easier to adjust for this situation. Other software editing programs can also do this by adjusting your video tracks in "3-d" space, just serif made it super simple. That's the main reason I used serif to begin with, the ability to make quick easy adjustments to match those weird angles.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Great thread! Thanks all who have contributed.

I don't have a short-throw projector but do have a nice 4000 lumen standard projector. My question is about mounting height: do I need to try to get my projector at eye-level (maybe 5ft. 6in. for average) for best experience? Or can I have it at "tombstone level" (3ft. hidden behind a tombstone)? I don't want things to look distorted.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Great thread! Thanks all who have contributed.

I don't have a short-throw projector but do have a nice 4000 lumen standard projector. My question is about mounting height: do I need to try to get my projector at eye-level (maybe 5ft. 6in. for average) for best experience? Or can I have it at "tombstone level" (3ft. hidden behind a tombstone)? I don't want things to look distorted.
That's the beauty with mapping. Nothing will look distorted due to the fact that you are distorting the image in editing, and once projected onto your home (or whatever your mapping to) it looks as if it's at the perfect angle.
Think of it like the keystone adjustment on a projector. If you project at an angle, you can square up your image using keystone. If you map your environment, your adding keystone in editing.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts