Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'll try to make this short, but also thorough. First a bit of backstory. I go to Disney world at least once a year, and while the singing busts in the haunted mansion are great, what really caught my eye was the complete transformation of the castle they do as a night show. I did research to find its called projection mapping (as well as going by other names). After more research, I found other people using it a lot, mostly VJ's, but a few personal videos for holidays. I always thought it was going to be one of those things that would require loads of money, and lots of high tech, not to mention, countless hours of computer time. I first delved into it for the Halloween and Christmas holidays in 2012, and found that yes, a lot of hours on the computer is needed, but the tech is straight forward. All you need is a video projector (the more lumens the better) and some simple software. So let's jump right in.

First thing you need to do is set up your projector to display your computers desk top onto your home. Take note of the resolution. Match your desktop to your projector. In My case it will be 1024x768 with a 4:3 aspect ratio. I run my display in "duplicate" so I can look to my monitor to see how things are progressing. Your trying to cover as much as possible, so this may require a lot of yard space or a short throw projector. Once you get the coverage you are happy with, you need to make a trace of the features of your home that you want to project on. There are a few ways to do this. I myself use a program called screen marker. It's free and easy. I run the software and color my entire screen black. Using the line tool,( switching to white) I then draw onto my house tracing anything I want to project on.

This is the house trace as seen on the house.
image.jpg

This is how it looks on the monitor.
image.jpg

I then take a screenshot and save this to my desktop. From here it's over to photoshop (or again, an image editing program of your choice) for making masks.
I recently bought a new projector, so I am writing this tutorial as I proceed through the steps.

More to follow.

EDIT: forgot to mention. Make sure you take measurements, or mark EXACTLY, where the projector is. This will be crucial as you need to place the projector in the same spot when you go to do your showing. I mark my lawn with paint. This ensures that things will line up after bringing your set up inside. More on this in the last installment.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update and question. I want to redo my trace as I want to move my projector to a different location. For the people that are awaiting the next steps of this tutorial, I don't want to keep you hanging. Would it be ok if I used a former trace, as I don't want to go through the creation process with a trace that I will be discarding? The concept and method will still be the same. It's just a lot of work for something that won't be used.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bear with me a little longer. I'm learning a new piece of software to make it a video tutorial. Trying to get the settings just right so it's fluid and not laggy. I should have the photoshop part done before the weekend is out. Then it will be on to the video editing portion. First tutorial and first time using cam studios, so a bit of a learning curve.

·
Registered
668 Posts

Here's part 2 of the process, using Photoshop for making the masks. Two things I forgot to point out.
1: When using the Pen Tool to create a shape, have it set to "shape tool" in the upper left corner.
2: Set the directory for where you want to export your files to. This should be a given, which is why I overlooked the step.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah sorry. I already had a file set, so forgot to mention where to export to. I mentioned it in my post with the link for YouTube. Select a location or create a new folder to export your masks in. I will make a comment stating so now. My pc is shut down for the night, and I don't want to go start it up to add it in description. I tried to remember everything, but I'm not good at public speaking, and being a first time doing a voice video, tutorial, and using the screen capture software, my nerves were frayed. Good thing I edited it down. It was close to an hour and a half with all the mistakes and nerves. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Really interested in Project Mapping, so looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I'm really concerned about Lumens. Seems like 3000 Lumens would be minimum but something like 6000 would be closer to what is needed. Also seems that the projector needs to have very high contrast to keep "black areas black at night".

I've seen the disneyworld projection and it is absolutely amazing. From what I've been able to glean, they are using 20K lumen hi res $30K Christie projectors spread around in 13 locations to get the amount of light seen. That;s a lot of projectors and lumens! They use special s/w to synchronize to provide transparent transitions from each edge of projection..

I've a street light close by and that will wash my house, so that is part of my concern.

I'll be curious to hear what the lumen and contrast you have!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My old projector was 3100 lumens, 400:1 contrast ratio. If you check out my videos, the one labeled 2012 bureau holiday magic, that is the actual show on the house. The 2012 Halloween ones, were from a 1500 lumen, 400:1 constrast projector. I too have a street light on both sides of my house (2 houses down I. Either direction) and my across the street neighbor, has 2 100 watt flood lights.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I haven't forgotten about this. I actually have the final stage of the tutorial complete, but have come across exporting issues. I keep getting the stupid c++ runtime error. Trying to track it down, and get it straightened out has been a nightmare. Before reinstalling the software or doing a ctrl start on it (which can make me lose some files) I'm trying an export on each segment individually. I'm hoping to get it completed and uploaded by the end of the weekend. Thanks for your patience.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
24 Participants
Privateer
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing