Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of doing a full projection mapping project for our house for 2019 Halloween.

I used an AtmosfearFX projection into a window for 2018 and want to go bigger for 2019. My current pojector is an NEC MT1060 (2,600 lumens, native resolutipon of 1024 x 768, aspect ration of 4:3 and throw ration of 1.54:1 – 2.08:1) I don't think that this will be good enough for the job, especially as there is a stree lamp near although it's quite dim.

I'm thinking of getting something like a Optoma GT1080E (3,000 lumens, native resolution of 1920 x 1080, aspect ratio of 16:9, and throw ratio of 0.49:1). Is this a reasonable projector to go for? As I don't want to make a mistake!

Our house is approximately 8.25 metres wide and the walls are approximately 4.5 metres high. The These measurement are quite close to the 16:9 aspect ration of the Optoma GT1080E. I calcualte that the Optoma GT1080E would have to be 4.04 metres from the house to cover it.

Are my undertsanding of the calculations correct?

The spec sheet of the Optoma GT1080E states that the projection distance is between 0.5m - 3.35m. My calculation states that I need it to be atleast 4.04 metres, should I need to be worried about projection distance?

The walls of my house are cream coloured painted brick so presumabley should be OK to project onto?

The front of the house is part two storey and part one storey with the tiled roof coming down to the first storey. The roof tiles are a very dark grey to black so presumable I can't project onto them as the effect would be not visbable, is that correct?

Would somebody please confirm or not the above.

Many thanks,

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here is a projector calculator, it has the projector you are looking at on it. https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-GT1080Darbee-projection-calculator-pro.htm It will give you recommendations for the projector you are looking at including distance and brightness at the specified distance.

As far as if it's going to be bright enough for you, there are a lot of variables to take into consideration. Ambient light as you had mentioned, color of the house and even sheen of paint. If you can try before you buy or able to return it, that would be your best bet. In my area there is a guy that sells projectors really cheap. He buys them from a local college that apparently replaces fairly new units very frequently.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm thinking of doing a full projection mapping project for our house for 2019 Halloween.

I used an AtmosfearFX projection into a window for 2018 and want to go bigger for 2019. My current pojector is an NEC MT1060 (2,600 lumens, native resolutipon of 1024 x 768, aspect ration of 4:3 and throw ration of 1.54:1 – 2.08:1) I don't think that this will be good enough for the job, especially as there is a stree lamp near although it's quite dim.

I'm thinking of getting something like a Optoma GT1080E (3,000 lumens, native resolution of 1920 x 1080, aspect ratio of 16:9, and throw ratio of 0.49:1). Is this a reasonable projector to go for? As I don't want to make a mistake!

Our house is approximately 8.25 metres wide and the walls are approximately 4.5 metres high. The These measurement are quite close to the 16:9 aspect ration of the Optoma GT1080E. I calcualte that the Optoma GT1080E would have to be 4.04 metres from the house to cover it.

Are my undertsanding of the calculations correct?

The spec sheet of the Optoma GT1080E states that the projection distance is between 0.5m - 3.35m. My calculation states that I need it to be atleast 4.04 metres, should I need to be worried about projection distance?

The walls of my house are cream coloured painted brick so presumabley should be OK to project onto?

The front of the house is part two storey and part one storey with the tiled roof coming down to the first storey. The roof tiles are a very dark grey to black so presumable I can't project onto them as the effect would be not visbable, is that correct?

Would somebody please confirm or not the above.

Many thanks,
Hi!

First I would like to say welcome to your newest addiction! And thank you for representing projection mapping in England!

I can see it now.... Next year will be just one projector for the house. This will then be followed by a few for inside the windows to make them pop, then another one for the garage doors etc etc.. oops forgot you will need another one for the pumpkin display (can't forget them, the kids love the singing pumpkins). After that, you will wonder how you can get them all to sync. I am typing all of this because this is exactly the path I just went down...but hopefully you will be able to show more self restraint and be able to stop at just one ! If not, well then we are here to cheer you on!

Looks like you have definitely done your homework! Nice job. My personal opinion is that you should be fine. Worst case, hopefully you can return or ebay the unit if dissatisfied.

Thoughts and general responses to your questions:
I would go with a 1080 projector. The 720 that you have will possibly give you more of a Screen door effect...*Screen Door effect* - when you see the pixels from low resolution projectors trying to project on really large surfaces. You will see that with the 1080 as well but it won't be as obvious.

Lighter colors are easier to project on, so cream color paint should be fine. You can pretty much rule out getting any image on dark grey roof tile.

To give a general example of mapping using 3000 lumen projectors, I use 4 Benq Short Throw projectors (yes, I have an addiction haha)
Two 3200 lumen BenQ MW824st units and two BenQ MW817st 3000 lumen units and they do the job!

Here is a link to this year's attempt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy2395tk6hk

House facade starts at 40 seconds in then changes @ 3minutes

Also look for "Projectthishouse" on youtube. He also uses a BenQ 3000 Lumen projector on his house.
Here his his latest : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU9HY3xNRI4&t=80s

Best of luck on the new Project!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi FogMaster and spiney99,

Many thanks for your replies.

FogMaster, that's a good idea, I know somebody who works (or used to work) in the local college IT department and I'll ask them if the college ever sells off used projectors.

spiney99, wow your display was amazing! I love your use of the different AtmosfearFX videos especially the relatively new Halloween Monster Bash which synchronised well to your audio track. I appreciate your advice about the singing pumpkins — it's not just the kids that love them - I do too!! What I'd like to do is a full house mapping of our house with one projector doing everything i.e. singing pumpkins projected onto the wall and then the whole house facade changing to wooden boards which may burn or fall down with some sort of animation. The sky really is the limit.

As far as software is concerned - I'm thinking that if I invest in a decent projector then I should use something like Adobe creative cloud which is hideously expensive but it will give good result if the idiot at the keyboard (i.e. me) manages to learn the software.

Something else that you video shows is that audio is very important, music and sound effects really do make a house mapping work. What do you use to provide the sound? Do you speakers and an amplifier? I'd love to add a short range FM transmitter for car radios to pick up but I think that FM transmitters are illegal in the UK.

Where do you position your projector (and audio equipment). Do you keep it on the ground level or mount somehow above the ground? I'm aware that the projector and additional equipment needs to be in a weather proof box which must also be lockable and which is anchored some way in order to prevent easy opportunity to thieves.

Many thanks for the advice and encouragement.

·
Registered
290 Posts
There is a youtuber ( I am not sure if he is an active forum member) Named Dave Bates who has been video mapping since 2003. He places a projector in a spot that allows him to project on pumpkin displays, items in his yard, his fence etc.. Take a look when you get a moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ziewBCJyRk&list=PLc7KRaxR9A1kroMbzOqfefK5DWpxX5zqe

Regarding my set up, let's just say that is still a work in progress. Regarding your questions..

I am learning the importance of sound the hard way. I am still attempting to find a good source for sound effects.. For example, My place is quiet when the castle waves out.. I would love to have had a sound effect during that transition. Regarding the amplification, I put all three songs and sound effects on one of my 4 videos so I had all sound coming from one unit. I was a guitar player back in the day , so I have some older equipment at my disposal. Basically it looks like: Projector out using a 3.5 sound jack to a small portable 4 channel mixer using a 3.5 to 1/4 inch adapter. Then from the mixing board I run a 25 ft musical instrument cable to the guitar amp that is hidden by the stairs.

I only project one night for three hours (Observed Halloween in my neighborhood). I put the projectors on the ground, usually hidden behind a coffin lid or tombstone etc. I also stand at a table for the trick or treaters at the end of my driveway so that my equipment is located behind me . I can keep an eye on them this way and make sure that nobody walks in front of the beams of light, breaking the effect

I would absolutely LOVE to make an enclosure to keep the projector safe/warm/cool, but I just haven't taken the time. This enclosure would also allow me to extend the show and leave it unattended..After some searching, I did see this from Matt Champneys and need to try it: https://www.digitalpressworks.com/box-build-tutorial/
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mostly adobe..Photoshop to create the main house "skin" (i.e. old castle bricks etc) that will end up being the façade of the house.
Adobe After effects to make the occasional house fall apart/reassemble etc
then a video editor to put it all together. I have been using Serif movieplus s6, but they don't make it anymore so I may need to go adobe premiere soon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts