Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I've been away for the forum for awhile and its really nice to be back and looking at everyone's fantastic work. I hope everyone had a great Halloween 2013!

For 2014 i want to start a completely new segment in my haunt. Projection Animation! I have never done anything like this before. My concern is how it is done? I'm confused with how its set up in a window or if i can make it project that its almost in my cemetery. I'm going with restless spirit for my first projection. This is created by Spectral Illusions and costs $20.00 which is reasonable compared to some other ones i see. I figure ill buy a less expensive animation to play around with.

Another quick note is supplies. Do i need a special type of projector? I would like one that produces the animation in good quality and clean detail. Also ive been reading upon different types of screens and scrims and plexi glass for different effects. I think i just need some clarity and advice from some projection gurus out there:)
Thanks guys an ghouls
-Chirs

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Ctarpey, welcome back to the fold. Here's some info on rear projections from what we used.

We did a Mark Gervais' Hallowindow rear projection the first year Hallowindow came out in 2008 using a borrowed projector from work. Bought a cheap white shower curtain from Walmart to use in our upper bedroom window. This year we did the same thing but with Dminor's Rona ghost maid ($10--very nice too) for our haunted hotel (She was a perfect fit). You can simply tape the shower curtain to your window edges inside, trying to pull the wrinkles out. The first year we did a 3-window area and created a frame to attach the shower curtain to; this year we only used the middle window and used blue painters tape to tape the edges to the walls around the window--quick and simple for one-night.

A suggestion to get rid of the wrinkles in the shower curtain would be to either hang it for a period of time or this year I tossed the stored, folded-up curtain in the dryer on the lowest temp for a few minutes, checking it periodically. The heat softened the vinyl and it hung up very nicely, wrinkle free. Just don't forget it in the dryer and allow the temp to get too warm...

The projector goes inside in the room and projects onto the window "screen" and will be visible from outside clearly if you have a decent quality projector (much cheaper these days than when we first did our Hallowindow).

I'll let others talk about using a scrim, and lumens and hot spots, etc. Projector set up was really simple though and focusing took a few minutes to get the image the size and sharpness we wanted. We've used a DVD player connected to the projector each year.

Here's an image of Dminor's ghost maid from this year. I loved her trailing image that disappeared into thin air.

and here's some images from Hallowindow the first year we ran it:

There are a few different versions of Hallowindow now but the one we bought was Hallowindow II which came with Hallowindow I as well. We still get kids asking about the eyeball and interestingly it's my Hubby's favorite of the clips from the DVD. Mark Gervais now sells a number of the clips as separate downloads, so also very reasonable for the home haunter on a budget (eyeball one $4).

You'll love adding the projector to your haunt and how it steps it up....and the kids in the neighborhood will love the addition too.

BTW I was able to pick up two of the Shift3 Lightblaster projectors last year for close up projections (not much lumens to cast light but bought them on clearance for under $30 I believe) and will use them next year for singing pumpkins and such where the projector will be much closer to the surface to project on and therefore brighter and the projection smaller in size as a result. I didn't want to put expensive projector equipment outside so this was the trade off I made in how I will use them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought a refurbed off brand (Optoma) 150 lumens projector that is meant for kids and gaming. I used it outdoors, maybe 15 feet from some sheer curtains I had... maybe an amber color. The type of inner curtains one buys from department stores and you install between the window and the curtain to diffuse light. Some sort of polyester blend. The thing is, polyester reflects... which means it catches a projection very well while allowing a bit of bleedthrough to whatever is behind the curtain. That made for a very impressive, albeit unintentional effect. As for the DVD player... an old PS2. Note that I did shoot at the curtain, not from behind like a window would have done. But I think my technique would work as rear projections too.

So you can see that my setup was fairly low budget. The results, judging by guests, were in no way cheapened. No need to buy special material. No need to buy a home theater quality projector.

Next year I will attempt to shoot at the side of a large painted styro tomb... akin to New Orleans style graves. May skip the curtain and just shoot at the styro. For giggles I may try the sheer curtain just 2 inches away. Either way, I think people will love it. I just need to thiefproof my player and projector. :)

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that looks so cool! The window i want to use is actually in my bedroom because thats the window that faces the front of the yard. I like the rear projection but does the projector get in the way? Do you have to set it across the room or prop it up on something so its level with the window. I guess im going to have to play around with it. I guess i just dont want it to interfere with the room. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I too added Hallowindow to my haunt this year and all the tot & neighbors loved it. I bought a used projector off ebay for $99. Hallowindow I&II plus a couple extras for $28. and a plastic drop cloth from Homedepot for $3. The dropcloth was a 2mil 9ft X 12ft HDX brand and it worked great with my 2000 lumen projector.
I also bought the Jack o lantern jamboree dvd after halloween for $19. and want to add the singing pumpkins next year. If anyone has any suggestions on what type of projector to use for this effect, please let me know.

·
Registered
566 Posts
ctarpey, I have been doing projection for a couple of years now. Our haunt in outside on 10 acres of woods so all of my projections are outside and I do not have any projection through windows so I can't comment on our to do that. I do singing pumpkins and grimm grinning ghosts projections and I have received lots of help from forum members in setting these up. I also do a video Madam Leota in a photo frame and this year I I made an outdoor theater, Wicket Grandma's Cemetery Cinema. On all of the projections I use about the least expensive projector that I can buy. I have purchased 3 new galaxy projectors from eBay and they have worked very well. It seems there are several different kinds of projectors that haunters use and some are more expensive than others but for simply doing a halloween haunt I didn't want to spend a lot of money for projectors. The ones I purchased had 2000 lumins and that seems to be plenty to show projections in the haunted forest at night. The cost of each was about $200.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've done a rear projection on my front 2nd story window for a few years now and I had people asking if I'm going to do the eye (Hallowindow's eye) again this year. It's become the "thing" in the neighborhood.

I borrow a projector from work but will probably buy one this year to use in years to come. Like the others I hang a white plastic table cloth in the window to project onto.

Two things I'm looking at getting into are projecting onto fog and projection mapping onto my house. I think projection mapping is going to be the thing haunters get into in the next few years. It's complicated to set up and takes a lot of work, but it knocks your socks off.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
that looks so cool! The window i want to use is actually in my bedroom because thats the window that faces the front of the yard. I like the rear projection but does the projector get in the way? Do you have to set it across the room or prop it up on something so its level with the window. I guess im going to have to play around with it. I guess i just dont want it to interfere with the room. Thanks for all the help!

The set up in our above-garage bedroom (pictured in above post) has the projector and our DVD player about 10.5 feet from the window. We couldn't go back any further in this room because of the adjoining location of the Jack and Jill bathroom wall. So even with that limited distance to use, I think it came out fine. If we could have pulled it back further we could have had the whole image (Hallowindow) on the screening. I believe we cut off a small bit on the sides. BTW we made it work with our window arrangement but sure wish for Halloween we had different windows to use. LOL. One nice big picture window without panes would have been ideal.

We actually used some stacked empty file storage boxes as the stand for the projector (had them handy and they collapse afterwards). Our outlet is on that opposing wall and we just unplug and push the boxes/projector out of the way during the day if we needed to. We've set up for projections halloween night several times and one year ran it three nights leading up to halloween (changing the "playlist" displays we ran each day so it was a new treat for the kids each night.)

We've used two different projectors for this effect (both borrowed) on the above and can safely say you will need to spend a little bit of time to position the image at the size you want it to appear in the window (using adjustable projector legs to get the height and the focal controls to adjust the image). Not a big deal though. There was a repeat button we used to keep it looping. We didn't have text anywhere in our images so didn't need to flip the image for back projection. Nice projector feature if you will be running text (ie use the projector outside during the summer for movies back projected and want the credits etc. to come out readable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts