Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone is projecting onto a clear surface? When we first got a projector we tried projecting onto a glass window and you could kinda/sorta see the image but not very well. We're seeing videos where people hang a clear sheet of some kind in a doorway and project on it, and I was going to make a frame to put on the roof that would hold a clear shower curtain and project on that. I know a clear curtain is technically clear but it's not as clear as glass and I'm wanting to know how it looks on something other than glass.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Most people project onto translucent material (translucent shower curtains from wal-mart, wedding veil, mosquito netting), not clear material for the reason that clear really doesn't work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if anyone is projecting onto a clear surface? When we first got a projector we tried projecting onto a glass window and you could kinda/sorta see the image but not very well. We're seeing videos where people hang a clear sheet of some kind in a doorway and project on it, and I was going to make a frame to put on the roof that would hold a clear shower curtain and project on that. I know a clear curtain is technically clear but it's not as clear as glass and I'm wanting to know how it looks on something other than glass.
Greaseproof paper (wax paper) works great

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Go to this libk, read at end. Get fabric from Joans or EBay.
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/133130-most-invisible-scrim.html

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We use an offwhite curtain for projecting on windows, but we need something see through. I was just watching the AtmosfearFX video and they suggest using a sheer, semi-see through fabric. Looks like it's time to hit the fabric store.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use Chiffon that would be used as a prom dress, it is translucent and reflective and you can see thru it while it is hung,.
It does not wrinkle easily so fold it away for the year and pull it out and it looks like new
I have it on my front window with the AtmosFX zombies playing it looks as if the Zombies are inside my house.
Although I have to say I was a little uncomfortable asking for 5 yards of Chiffon at Joann fabric as I'm a Home Depot Lowes kind of guy lol!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was wondering if anyone is projecting onto a clear surface?.
You can't rear project on glass. Front projection has been used for 100 years to do the "pepper's ghost" effect, which is pretty much been replaced by CGI projections. You have to have a material that can transmit the light through the material, with enough of the light being radiated from the material or reflect the light off the material. Glass is transparent, so not enough of the light is diffused and transmitted in the material become a transmission medium. It just passes through. In front projection, some of the image is reflected, under the right circumstances (like the pepper's ghost effect) and you can get a partial image on the glass. You need a material that diffuses the light just enough in the material to transmit it back out in focus to the viewer. I am adding more info to the thread on best projection material.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've used chiffon but I now use a cheap white shower curtain.
Shows the best unless your doing a peppers ghost effect thing.
Yeah. I think the shower curtain is the best too. I use the chiffon type fabric only when i want what is behind it to show, like in the graveyard.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yeah. I think the shower curtain is the best too. I use the chiffon type fabric only when i want what is behind it to show, like in the graveyard.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Agreed. People are going after this Chiffon (or Hollusion or whatever) when they don't intend to use it for hologram-looking projections. If you're just doing straight projections and don't want the characters to appear transparent, the shower curtain is the way to go. I guess technically you COULD use chiffon and keep the lights off in the room, but why? Shower curtains are easy to deal with, they don't show hotspots, they don't show bleed-through, and they give a great picture quality.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i use a 6 mil poly that you use for construction , i was not sure about it the 1st year but worked really well on my garage door with projection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts