Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done this or seen it done?

Project a video of a face from under a table, up into a clear dome ( cake cover ).
It would be LIKE Madame Leota from Haunted Mansion but I want to make it appear to be a face on a platter under a clear dome on a table that then starts to talk when people walk by.
I assume I would need to have a face form on the platter that the image could project onto.

Would the video need to be distorted to adjust for the shape of the face form?
Also, I think many projectors wont work vertically?

Thanks for any thoughts...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Also, I think many projectors wont work vertically?

Thanks for any thoughts...[/QUOTE]

I am not sure of the question on a "vertical projector".. You can have the projector at any given angle, as long as there is ventilation and something to hold it steady.. If you are asking to project a face on a form.. Is the face flat on the platter or is it perpendicular to the platter... If a flat face then yes, if perpendicular then no, You will need to project from the front or from the rear for that.

You will need to put the projector somewhat at an angle in front or in back using keystone settings on the projector. Even ultra short throw projectors need to have some angle to work with.

Let me know if I misunderstood the question?

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the face would lay flat on the plater! Seems like when I tried to project a video from a ceiling down to a floor it wouldn’t work. Anyway, I would be projecting into face form rather than onto a face form from the front. Would that distort the video too much?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yes the face would lay flat on the plater! Seems like when I tried to project a video from a ceiling down to a floor it wouldn’t work. Anyway, I would be projecting into face form rather than onto a face form from the front. Would that distort the video too much?
It shouldn't distort it too much. Your projector should have a setting for "rear projection" (It will show an icon of an eyeball in front of a screen with the projector behind it). That will give the mirror image you need.

There will be some distortion, but even the Disney singing busts aren't "perfect" yes I am cringing as I type this thinking of the onslaught I will bear for even thinking something Diz is not perfect... You just need to play with the setup to allow the image to be the correct size. you may need to adjust the size of the video until you get it right..

Another trick will be to find a face mask that allows the projection to be seen, but not have it then bleed through and onto the glass dome.

Good luck! Not impossible, but may take some "Tweaking" to get it right

1 - 4 of 4 Posts