Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ever since I built the Horse Drawn Hearse it's been, well, not as horse-tastic as you'd imagine. I've seen some people make horses out of wood, foam, paper mache etc. but that sounded like a lot of work not to mention a HUGE headache to figure out how to store such a creation or engineer it to come apart. Kudos to those of you who have tackled that! What if there is a way to have a horse without making a physical one? With the advent of inexpensive portable projectors I had an idea..

I started scouring the web for a suitable video (which there are plenty of horse videos, maybe too many) but I couldn't find anything that screamed Halloween. No bother, I'll make one, can't be too hard can it?

I am no animator but I do know my way around Photoshop. So I took a mashup of a horse and a horse skeleton, erasing to 'cut away' the skin to expose the skeleton image underneath to create the Ultimate Ghost Zombie Horse[SUP]TM[/SUP]. Enter some Adobe After Effects to add some effects and crude animation, put some audio in the background and Boom. Projected Horse Effect. I'll be creating a 2.0 version next year with 30% more fancy.

Here's a couple pics and a video.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's very cool! Would you mind others using it?
Not at all. Although the one on YouTube is only about a third of the video and is half-resolution. The full clip is 2:30 and is 720p but is also ~500mb. If I can find a good spot to upload it, I have no problems sharing it.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Great work Camsauce! People were asking about building horses a while back and I thought a projection or shadow might be a nice compromise. I hadn't imagined anything so detailed or finished though! Must have been a huge hit!

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
Great image work! If I can figure out a setup to have the horse and my Headless Horseman in one scene, I'd love to use your projection image. I've thought about doing a silhoutte on foamboard and someone posted a pattern link for one somewhere on the forum but THAT projection would look way cooler. Thanks for sharing and I will check back every so often.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,682 Posts
Awesome job on the horse vid ! If your looking for the best way / site to upload for sharing try DropBox, they allow very large file to be shared. I have had up to 2 - 3 GB's video's I've downloaded from DropBox. Just depends on the down loader's connection & internet speed as to the time it would take to download, but it's a free share system site & would handle the file share needs...........

1 - 20 of 22 Posts