Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some still pics of the facade we used for the Mansion this year. Its a video playing on a DVD, front projected on the building face.
I had a 7 minute loop playing, incorporating composite video layers. I had a lot of fun with this project,. The projector is mounted in a booth raised up 9 feet with 24 feet of throw length for a projected width of 24 feet in 1080P 16:9. I used a 3000 lumen short throw Viewsonic HDMI projector, and Sony HD , dvd player. Audio was run through a mixer and a pair of Mackie SRM 450's -so plenty of bass and power!

Here is the building front serving as a projection surface:

Here is the same building with the facade projection:

There are various videos composited on the basic facade:

Here is some raw video footage:
http://vid15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/captpete1/Halloween 2014/Facade 2014 short edit2_zps8mlew11g.mp4

Pete

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a pretty cool concept.
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, the best thing is you can change it to anything that you can dream up without having to pick up a real paintbrush!
I am going to create a new one for next year.
Pete

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
I love that. How do you have your projector positioned so the guests do not interfere with the image when entering the building?

·
Registered
668 Posts
While the only way to keep people from interfering with the illusion is rear projection, there are ways to limit it. Angle of the projection, and limiting access to the path that the projection travels can really help. The higher you have the projector, the closer people' can get before the enter the light path for the projection.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While the only way to keep people from interfering with the illusion is rear projection, there are ways to limit it. Angle of the projection, and limiting access to the path that the projection travels can really help. The higher you have the projector, the closer people' can get before the enter the light path for the projection.
Yes you are correct. I limited the shadowing by placing the projector as high up as practical. It was about 9 feet above the ground. In addition, the video mask does not allow projection on the doors so there is nothing to block there. The doors are lit by a green led from above. This pretty much eliminates shadowing if you approach directly in front of the doors. We had the Que line stop about 50 feet from the doors so you got a good resolution view before approaching. When you are standing close to the projection the pixels are about 2 inches square so res is low.

If you check out the video clip at the end of my original post you will see the masking. This is a cut from the actual DVD I was using, just lower res version and shorter.
Pete

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yes you are correct. I limited the shadowing by placing the projector as high up as practical. It was about 9 feet above the ground. In addition, the video mask does not allow projection on the doors so there is nothing to block there. The doors are lit by a green led from above. This pretty much eliminates shadowing if you approach directly in front of the doors. We had the Que line stop about 50 feet from the doors so you got a good resolution view before approaching. When you are standing close to the projection the pixels are about 2 inches square so res is low.

If you check out the video clip at the end of my original post you will see the masking. This is a cut from the actual DVD I was using, just lower res version and shorter.
Pete
Oh trust me, I know about seeing large pixles when up close. I e been doing full house (600 inch diagonal) projections for a few years.

Good job by the way.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is l pic with TOT's. the actual shadowing is minimal. We had a straw path for them to follow to keep them in line with the doors.
I thought about a fence, but didn't get to it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've seen Universal Studios do this before with one of their haunts, but I LOVE the fact that you brought it to your home. Really nice work!

·
the horror up North ...Eh
2,988 Posts
Got to see it in action , so glad I could make the adventure to the Haunt at the nile , this was one section of the walk thru each section of the haunt had its own person taking care of what was inside what a wonderful expierence

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
VERY NEAT! NICE! INCREDIBLE!.. but as nice as it is, as easy (compared to building and painting) I refuse to feel stupid or bad in any way because I DID paint and build my place . (That way people can drive by during daylight hours and Still See it!-- haha!)
Really I love that you have done and can do.
i have always thought mere shadows could also be exploited to a high degree on facades and inside rooms and have accidentally done that a few times.
Light and shadows fog and mist, i have called them, gotten but little answers , we have never kissed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Love those!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts