Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
So is this a static prop or does it have movement?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've been following along and this is definitely on my build list this year! I was actually thinking to use the coffin to house a shiatsu massager based animated zombie. I'd have one arm reaching out and the lid of the coffin moving up and down. Great prop with very clear directions - can't wait to get started.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Just a quick question as I'm about to go out and get the supplies. I was wondering how heavy the lid by itself was? The reason I'm asking is that I wanted to place a shiatsu massager zombie in the coffin and have one of the knobs on the massage be linked to move the coffin lid a bit. I don't want it to be so heavy it would burn out the motor. Maybe an alternate would be to build the coffin like you have but for the lid use a single piece of 1/8" luan plywood and then attach strips of 1/2" foam carved to look like boards. That would certainly cut down on the weight but maybe it's not necessary. I'll wait to see what you say. Thanks!

·
Master of my own Universe
975 Posts
Urak I'm thinking the lid as built in the tutorial will be too heavy for the shiatsu.

I had a few issues with the arm of my shiatsu based zombie, where the hand was too heavy and I didnt get much movement. The weight of the lid would affect this even more.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hey Herman.

So I've got a good start on the coffin. The plywood base is cut and I've finished the lid. The only problem I ran into with the lid is that the fence boards I got are actually 5" wide where yours must have been closer to 5-1/2" to give you the 22" width. I should have measured first but anyhow it worked out. I just spaced out the boards for the lid so there are some uneven gaps between the boards - makes it look old as if it's falling apart and will be cool if I put a spotlight or strobe inside the coffin so the light shines out between the boards.

I had a couple of questions as I proceed with the side panels.

Ground Breaker Coffin

Side panels - Lower Side panels

The side panels are made from the remaining 2 fence panels and the off cut from the coffin lid

Majority of the cuts will be made at various angles. Please read the instructions carefully before and during the cutting.

1. Cut 4 lengths of the 1 inch x 3 inch timber each 11 inches long (assuming the width of two boards is 11 inches or more)

2. Take the two full fence panels and secure them side by side.

3. Adjust the saw foot plate to an angle of 15 degrees, then cut across the left hand end 1 inch from end at a 15 degree angle.
In step Part 3: Lower Side Panels you say to cut 1" off of the left hand side. I'm not really clear on which end you mean - is this the long edge or short end along the bottom? I guess the confusion is the left/right - is it left as you see it in the photo or left from where you are looking at it. Maybe say long edge/short edge?

Also for the interior bracing you say to use 1" x 3" but looking at your pictures they look more like 1" x 2" and the 2" screws you say to use wouldn't make it through a 1" x 3" to contact the other piece of wood.

Sorry, maybe I'm mistaken or just plain confused. :)

·
Master of my own Universe
975 Posts
Sorry for any confusion on this but I will try to explain in a little more detail

first of all, the fence panels that I purchased were 1" x 6" panels - but they did come up a little narrower than 6"

With the cutting guide, the cuts should be done either on the left hand end or right hand end as you face the lengths of lumber - this will ensure that the angle is cut correctly. Hopefully this explains the process, if not I can draw up a diagram or two to help.

The interior bracing is made from 1" x 3" - but this will be cut at angles along with the side & end panels, so the size will end up around 1" x 1.5" (at the centre of the diagonal cut). So the 2" screws will be sufficient for the assembly

Hopefully this answers your questions - please let me know if you need more details

·
Registered
483 Posts
That clears it up - thanks! I'll let you know as I go if I run into any more snags. Great tutorial, very detailed.

By the way, I was going through your site and recognized your groundbreaker zombie inspired by the one I did. Looks great. Thanks for the plug. This must be a sort of haunt karma - you build one of my props and I build one of yours! :)

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Well my 5 yr old daughter helped me build this ground breaker today.
I cut the boards and held them in place while she nailed them together for me.
We used scrap wood and nails I pulled apart from some old packing crates from work so the cost of this project was a total $0.00. :D

Thanks for the tutorial Herman Secret! My daughter and I had a great time working together on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts