Halloween Forum banner

281 - 297 of 297 Posts

·
The Undead Diva
549 Posts

Thank you so much Yank. I'll check those out and may have time to actually do this project this year. I'm currently working on my LED candles so I may have to wait until next year to have the time. I don't want to build it unless I have the time and materials to do it right. Thanks again to Terra for the wonderful inspiration!!

·
aka Halloweenqueen
1,435 Posts
First, I want to thank everyone, especially Terra, who contributed to this thread. I've poured over every page for tips for my build.

When I first decided to do a "beloved figure" I look online for real examples of cemetery pictures and fell in love with this tombstone.

I was determined to get that aged bronze look, but couldn't get the color right in my trails. I decided to go back to the gray stone look, but with a twist. I would add wildfire optical white during parts of my painting process. I wanted her to glow in blacklight, but not too brightly. I added a hint of green to the white and ended up with a very similiar effect to the aged bronze look I was going for.

I remember seeing a tombstone in a LA area cemetery that I liked. Luckily I found a picture online.

I decided to not have my figure attached to a tombstone. I don't put out a cemetery every year. I wanted some flexibility to put her with different themes. She is on a large piece of styrofoam. I haven't decided where to place her, so I have some flexibility with the large base and can always cut it if necessary.

The $30 dollar skeletons at Walgreens were too nice to pass up. I bought several and decided to use one for my figure. I would never think to use a real bucky for this, but for $30 I had ready made head, hands, etc. Then I decided not to go the wedding dress route, but used a silky and simple evening dress. This allowed me to have a look like the figure above, plus make her smaller and easier to store.

I'll post some night pictures if I'm successful tonight.

Thanks again for the tips!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just read through every post in this whole thread - I was already inspired by Terra's amazing work but seeing everyone's different takes has truly inspired me to do this project for next Halloween. I do a Nightmare Before Christmas theme at my house every year but I have been saying for the past few years that I wanted to turn one part of my yard into the cemetery that Jack goes to in the movie. Terra, all of your tombstones are amazing so I thank you for all the tutorials you do! I will be back to post pics once I get started but wanted to say thanks to everyone that posted pictures and shared your trials and successes!

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
I just read through every post in this whole thread - I was already inspired by Terra's amazing work but seeing everyone's different takes has truly inspired me to do this project for next Halloween. I do a Nightmare Before Christmas theme at my house every year but I have been saying for the past few years that I wanted to turn one part of my yard into the cemetery that Jack goes to in the movie. Terra, all of your tombstones are amazing so I thank you for all the tutorials you do! I will be back to post pics once I get started but wanted to say thanks to everyone that posted pictures and shared your trials and successes!
That must have taken you a gallon of coffee to go through :) You're very welcome and I'm here to answer any questions you may have when you get started.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Terra,

I'm sure you have been asked this question a million times, what is the tool you use to shave down the foam?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Never mind Terra....I found it :) Stanley Surform Shaver

·
Registered
328 Posts
Budeena,
That's a very pretty dress. Why don't you make a duct tape dummy for your torso. It would hold up better then a wire frame, and you could have a low neckline.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The hair was very time consuming...it's two wigs, one is a regular shoulder length wig on the head. The curls came from a 6 foot Godiva wig but I didn't have to form the curls, amazingly they sprung back after I gave them a light coat of mud then I brushed each curl in monster mud, tore tiny strips of paper towel and covered each curl and any open spaces and brushed on more mud. And I cut different lengths and stuck them wherever I wanted a curl. I have posted an album on my profile, there's a pic of the open curls lightly covered in mud. When I got tired of it or started getting careless & sloppy I packed it in for the day, let it dry overnight and went back to it later. I think it took about 6 - 8 hours to get it where I was happy and every hole was covered. I'd work on it after work a couple hours for about 3 days.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
The hair was very time consuming...it's two wigs, one is a regular shoulder length wig on the head. The curls came from a 6 foot Godiva wig but I didn't have to form the curls, amazingly they sprung back after I gave them a light coat of mud then I brushed each curl in monster mud, tore tiny strips of paper towel and covered each curl and any open spaces and brushed on more mud. And I cut different lengths and stuck them wherever I wanted a curl. I have posted an album on my profile, there's a pic of the open curls lightly covered in mud. When I got tired of it or started getting careless & sloppy I packed it in for the day, let it dry overnight and went back to it later. I think it took about 6 - 8 hours to get it where I was happy and every hole was covered. I'd work on it after work a couple hours for about 3 days.

What a treat to go through your pictures. Here I thought I was spending too much time on the hair details but you beat me by a thousand :)

Snagged this picture from your album:

hubcapsally-albums-beloved-picture178313-thrift-store-dress-perfect-but-wasnt-quite-long-enough-.jpg

What a brilliant idea to extend too short of a dress with a kitchen curtain!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to say that once I had the stone and torso constructed and mocked up I got really nervous about getting thte mudding started. So much co that it sat for months, getting shuffled around my basement. It seemed so overwhelming and I put it off for so long until Halloween season was upon us and I ust HAD to get it done. Finally I thought, "well if I screw it up then I just have to try and fix it" and dove in. It didn;t take long for me to wonder what the heck I got myself into but once I had it coated inside and out and positioned her I felt alot better about the whole thing. It was very intimidating to say the least.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hubcapsally - I am so jealous of your stone. It looks great! I only wish I had the space for one of these stones at my house, but alas, I live in a town home and have a limited area to work with.

281 - 297 of 297 Posts