Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ah ha! I'm here and I found it!
I was trying to think of something small and simple to make to get us warmed up and who's supplies could be easily found this time of year. Everything I was thinking of had parts that would be hard to get right now, so I settled on an item I had made for my apocarathy cabinet... the mason jar with bloody baby doll parts in it.
The supplies:
1 Medium Sized Mason Jar
1 Red Candle
Fake Blood
Dollar Store Baby Dolls Who's Cut Hands & Feet Would Fit Nicely In The Jar
Thin Fabric Scrap Square (5x5 should do)
1 Tbs of Dirt

When I get back home in a week, I'm going to try a few things with the doll heads to see what turns out best, so be ready for an update on the supplies to do something fun with the head. No need for a perfectly good head to go to waste!

The jar of baby parts looks like this...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sorry I'm running late on this guys! I have to take some pictures and post them tomorrow with instructions. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Okay... so... first you take your innocent victim baby doll from this...

To this... So the first step is to cut off it's head and limbs.

Next step is to cut off the remaining fabric and zip tie they use to keep the limb attached as well as cutting off the lip on the limb so it is flush with the wrist or ankle. Like so. I like using a box cutter blade for this.

With these cheapy baby dolls, they usually have seams in the plastic and plastic webbing on the hands and toes that make them look sloppy and fake. Otherwise they look 100% real, right? You can shave the seams down with the box cutter.

Then you can take some of the stuffing from the body of the doll and shove it in the feet and hands if you are using a doll that has hollow feet and hands. This makes it so you don't have to melt a whole candle down into the limbs. I try to pack it until the stuffing is just at the top of where the limb is severed. Once you have it stuffed, you can light the candle, let some wax melt and pour it into the limb. *Work over cardboard or something in case of wax spills. No matter how careful you are trying to be, you are going to spill wax.* I had a little trouble tonight with the wax melting down past the stuffing and found that if I held the candle higher, allowing the wax a little air time to cool on it's way to the limb, it was more likely to build layers on top. Do a little bit of wax at a time and allow the layers to cool before adding more. You can also alternate a couple of shades of wax if you like.

When you have the wax level with the top of the limb, you can let it drip down the sides a little for a bleeding effect.

In this photo I'm trying to show what it looks like when you tap the wax as it's cooling. It ended up being more jagged and gorey instead of glossy and smooth provided you don't end up with wax sticking to your fingers which just smooths it out again.

I tested with dripping a layer of wax into the glass container and liked the way it turned out with the fake blood on top. It gave it a semi coagulated look that I was pleased with.
Then I put my limbs into the container. This is where I ran into trouble tonight. I decided I was going to use salt and pepper shakers from the dollar store because they didn't have mason jars and the feet wouldn't fit through the mouth of the jar. Oops. At least the hands fit!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Now we take the scrap of fabric, put it over the top of the jar and put the lid on. You can now take scissors and trim it to a good looking length where it doesn't hide too much of the jar.

Next you need to remove the fabric and drip some fake blood on it. For the first application I used a bit of water to distribute the blood over the fabric. Then I gathered the edges and wiped them on the inside of the blood container to give it some darker spots. The fabric I had this time was darker, but this really shows up well if you have a lighter fabric. Lighter fabric is when the dirt comes in great to dirty it up. Take a little bit of dirt in your hand, take the dampened fabric and roll them around together until you get the desired effect.

Now you can drizzle some blood into the jar to the level you feel is appropriate.
For my salt shaker I put a little saran wrap on the top to seal the blood in since the top has holes, then I put the fabric on and screwed on the lid. And you are done! Pretty easy, huh? I like to shake mine up a little after to spread the blood!

For the head, I decided to try burning it and was pleased with the results. What is creepier than a half burnt doll face? Ever seen the half buried doll head from the Titanic? That one is creepy too!
Turns out those doll heads are a little harder to burn than I expected. Fire retardants stifling my fun! Put some card board in your sink and work over your sink. If you doll head catches on fire, you can easily drop it and turn on the faucet.
To burn the face, I had to touch the flame to the plastic and hold it there for a while. When it started to burn, the smell kinda made me think of baby diarrhea. How fitting! I had to work at it for a while to get the face to melt.

Once it caught fire and I removed it from the flame, it went out pretty quickly. When I had a patch where the plastic had burnt and bubbled, I was able to take my scissors and press on it a bit while letting it cool to give it a mushed effect. It also broke up the burnt part making it look like there was raw flesh underneath. Bonus! You probably want to work in a well ventilated area to prevent you whole place stinking or the smoke alarms going off!

To get the black marks over the face, I had to hold the part I wanted darkened above the part I was burning to make the flames lick up that spot.
I like the effect of one eye missing and half the face looking just a little dirty so you can see how "pretty" it was before tragedy struck.

I actually like the way the burnt side turned out so much that I may go back and do the whole thing.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
That's just sick, twisted, and wrong.

I love it.

My 2 year old DAUGHTER, on the other hand, would likely be permanently scarred watching me mutilate a doll. She freaks out if we drop it off the couch and don't put it down nicely.

Still.....jars of hands and feet could come in handy...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Ahh the joys of taking out anger by mutilating a doll!! hehe. I've missed this section until now, but I know it's brand new!
I might give this, and forthcoming projects, a try myself. :D Glad it's here, thanks guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts