Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased several PIRs from a reputable Halloween vendor, but cannot get them to trigger any of my Gemmy/Spirit props. While they have been responsive to my emails, they have yet to provide me with a solution. All of the props can be triggered with a "try me" button, step pad, or by shorting the terminal on the prop. I am powering the PIRs with dedicated sources of the appropriate voltage and amps. The PIRs seem to be providing closure on the pair provided, and I have gone so far as to add resistors since the only difference found between the PIR closure and other methods of tripping is that the PIR circuit had less resistance. The PIR supplier says that they have tried to replicate the issue in-house with no success, and I have hooked up the devices as per their instructions. (Hell, it's only one pair and one place to connect!)

Any suggestions???????

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You may need to add a timed relay and add the PIR to it. You would pick the longest voice track and make it that length. When the PIR activates it will not interrupt until the prop runs through the audio track. I do this with my store bought when adding a PIR. You can also use a wireless relay with remote.

PIRs work great but it will keep shutting down the prop when motion is detected. It's like hitting the try me button during a sequence where it shuts it off again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may need to add a timed relay and add the PIR to it. You would pick the longest voice track and make it that length. When the PIR activates it will not interrupt until the prop runs through the audio track. I do this with my store bought when adding a PIR. You can also use a wireless relay with remote.

PIRs work great but it will keep shutting down the prop when motion is detected. It's like hitting the try me button during a sequence where it shuts it off again.
That makes sense except they don't seem to be triggering at all. I'd expect to get at least a momentary activation then an interruption. I'll be happy to try your suggestion, though. Any good sources for the relays?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
That makes sense except they don't seem to be triggering at all. I'd expect to get at least a momentary activation then an interruption. I'll be happy to try your suggestion, though. Any good sources for the relays?
Just any timed relay will work. They are around $8 each. You can power them with a A23 battery or 12v power supply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, for those keeping score, my neighbor gave me a prop which I believe came from a home improvement or home decor store, and not Spirit, since I had never seen it before. The bottom line? It worked flawlessly with the PIR. So now, more than ever, I'm confused about why this one works while others do not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts