Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am having a problem with my tombstones.

1. I am using exterior Latex Paint! But for whatever reason, when the paint gets wet...in some areas the paint will start to bubble up. What can I do to seal them so that this does not continue to happen? I am ready to give up on mine!

2. What are people using to seal their seams? I am using joint compound and I am not sure that this is the best! Any ideas??

I am using XPS foam - the pink stuff!

I wanted to post the link to my tombstone but it will not let me :(

They have NOT been weathered yet! I hope to get to them this weekend.

Any help or ideas would greatly be appreciated! Thanks much! Tammra

·
Registered
321 Posts
I use a matte clear coat on mine which seems to be working pretty good.. I have heard some people say that they use a masonite sealer.. I hope that helps a little.

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
I employ a sign-maker who uses the pink polystyrene for all kinds of projects and he always puts a thin layer of primer down before he paints. The pink foam is quite slick on any "uncarved" surface and latex paint needs texture to grip correctly.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
Generally whenever you are painting anything that has never had paint, needs a primer coat or when working with plastics, a primer dust coat. This locks down the surface & preps it for a "top" coat or final color. You are experiencing a incompatibilty problem, which is why your paint "bubbles" off when wet. It will scratch off pretty easily. Home improvement stores carry a spray paint that is for plastics,it is a clear that you DUST on,do not cover it like a final color. You can also use a clear driveway sealer for final protective finish in flat or gloss. I airbrush surf boards for some friends & we use driveway sealer. If it stands up to surfer abuse,it will hold up in your graveyard,....LOL
& a scuff & primer dust coat when repainting any semi or gloss painted item,it needs that "tooth" for the new paint to stick too...........

·
Registered
310 Posts
DLis correct - if you are having trouble with the paint then you should start with a primer - but be careful about the spray stuff. If it is not a LATEX primer then it will eat way the styrofoam. My suggestion is that you just buy some Kilz latex primer and slap that on before your exterior paint. The Kilz is not that expensive, it sticks to anything and it dries fast. If you are making something that will go outdoors then primer is always a good idea before your final paint as it will help it to last longer. Also, if you plan on using spray paint over your exterior paint you need to make sure every nook and cranny gets covered by the latex paint before you use the spray paint it will eat away little holes in the styro. Even a teeny hole uncovered will let the spray paint in and it will actually eat away the styro under the paint surface.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use a thick PVA wood glue to seal ANY polystyrene item. This provides a hard surface that resists damage and also provides an excellent base to paint on.

I've used it on foam wig heads etc. Works well but isn't flexible so don't use it on stuff like pool noodles unless you want to make them rigid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for all the different ideas. We are going to try a few of them and write down which is which so we will know what is going to work.

We keep our stuff out the entire month of October, so with Texas weather...is crazzy and we try to prepare for everything.

Again thanks to everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts