Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys, I got a Lite f/x fog machine today for several reasons one of them being ive always wanted one.

I carefully unpackaged it plugged in its little flip switch and let it heat up. After a few minuets i pushed the button and nothing happened. So I switched to the timer attachment rather then the swtich. The fog at first cam trickling out like it was from a cigarette, concerned id turned it on to soon i flipped the switch off and gave the manual for the timer a look over. Reading that it could be on while heating up I flipped it back on. This time however nothing came out, the light labeled " Heating " flickered on and off now and again at regular intervals which I contributed to what the manual reffered to as " Recycling " Lookin through the slot with a flsh light I can see the fluid is in the tube leading to what I imagine makes the fog but its sitting there even with the machine on no movement at all.

If anyone has any suggestions id appreciate them, I would hate having to tell someone that the gift they were so excited to give me is a defect.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
FWIW, plenty of foggers suffer from out-of-box failures. Your problem could be a number of things.
Which model is it? Do you hear a buzzing sound at any time, indicating that the pump is running? Check the socket that the manual switch plugs into and make sure it's tight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear it when I push the switch piece and when the heating light comes on for the timer piece. and unless im reading the wrong bit its Model No. 1741'

Edit: Correction, I do not hear anything when i hit the switch. That means the pump is busted and im sol, doesnt it?

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
A 1741, eh? I have one of those, too, they're usually very reliable. They're older foggers, so the problem could be a stuck piston in the pump, or possibly a wiring issue. Here's a how-to for checking the pump that I wrote up a while back:

http://www.modd3d.com/articles/item/lite-fx-fogger-pump-repair/catid/15

Start with this and see if it helps. Be a shame to lose that machine - mine has been running pretty strong for about 8 years now. I did need to clean out the heat exchanger this year, though.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Warranty

Otaku,

Might be a better idea to fill in the warranty card and call for repair. If the unit is taken apart it could void the warranty, and it might be something not repairable. I am always suspect of out of box failures. Plus as a tech I worry a bit the fact that in fogger's you do have 110 volt easily touched.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Otaku,

Might be a better idea to fill in the warranty card and call for repair. If the unit is taken apart it could void the warranty, and it might be something not repairable. I am always suspect of out of box failures. Plus as a tech I worry a bit the fact that in fogger's you do have 110 volt easily touched.
Definitely the best way to go, but I thought that the 1741 has been out of production for several years. I know I haven't seen any except on eBay. Giygas, if the fogger is a new machine and has a current warranty then take spinman's advice and let the factory do the work.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Out of production? Did not know that.

Otaku,

You may be right re warranty. What we might have here is a unit purchased off Ebay. Maybe the unit was used once then re boxed. As we all know that is a very common reason for the pump to get clogged or stuck. So using your pump inspection may indeed be the only option. That or return to the seller.

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
This unit is most definitely out of production. The limited warranty, if there was one, was likely one year from date of purchase at a retailer. I'm guessing this unit was purchased on eBay.

FWIW, sending in the "warranty card" (product registration) for a product is usually only used for marketing purposes and does not "activate" the warranty. (You activate the warranty once you purchase the product.)
This is a deceptive practice of many manufacturers to get your information for their marketing database.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
This is a deceptive practice of many manufacturers to get your information for their marketing database.
LOL, you bet. Why else would a manufacturer of a coffee maker need to know how much money I make, what the ages of my kids are, whether I hunt or fish and so on.

Giygas, did you look into returning the fogger to the seller? Just curious as to the outcome of this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts