Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For two years I've been trying to get a good strong belt to use on the Axworthy Flying Ghost system. I even used a vacuum cleaner belt, cut to length but it too would break. A friend told me to go to a local rubber manufacturer and see what they could make for me. I took the old belt from the vacuum cleaner with me and said, "I need something this length, 33" and this thickness, 1/8". I told the man that it would be used with the ghost and would be pulled by a sewing machine motor. "BAM" here are the pictures. He guaranteed me that it will not break and if it did he will replace it for free, guarantee. Also because it is one solid piece it should be smoother when running because there is no connecting ends to cause vibration. I Am stoked. Let e know if you have had any issues with your ghost. DSC06588.jpg DSC06590.jpg DSC06594.jpg DSC06591.jpg DSC06592.jpg :D

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,441 Posts
Just wondering ............what is the material the belt is made from? I saw something very similar in Mcmaster Carr for about $5.00. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was cut from a large rubber sheet, I need to find out the exact composite since it is so strong.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
If this solution ends up failing, I suggest the next option be an intermediary twin channel pulley, with a narrow channel for the smaller belt needed to connect the sewing machine motor and a wide channel for a wider belt that fits properly on the large twin channel pulley in your photographs. Running a narrow belt in a wide channel like that causes all kinds of wear and tear on belts due to the lack of stringent guides to control the belt, allowing it to twist, wobble, etc.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Until the belt broke last time it worked well. Although the channel is wide I used electrical tape in the rim well and it has created a nice groove inside. Lets see what happens this time. I'm sure it will work. I got a good four hours out of the old belt before it broke. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sorry no video yet. I won't have it set up until Oct. when it cools off down here and I can run it for several hours.I will video and post as soon as I can.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I hope your sewing machine motor lasts longer than mine did,once you put a load on it,it will prolly fry.Be sure and test it with a load first.I switched to a Treadmill motor and serp belt,unlimited torque and variable speed.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have may hours already on the motor, it's the belt that kept popping. I also have an variable speed knob hooked up to it which has worked well.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Has anyone thought of taking Plasti Dip to coat the inside track of the pullies for a better grip on the line or is slippage not really an issue?

·
Registered
814 Posts
OK you just peaked my interest. Tell me about Plasti Dip ? I've never heard of it.
Its basically a dipping rubber

http://www.plastidip.com/

The idea from my perspective would be to increase the grip around a pulley. What I dont know is how well it would hold up with the tension on the line. But how about basic rubber gluing it to the inside of the pulley assuming it could be done evenly?

I'm just trying to think of ways to increase the grip around those darn pulleys especially if you use fishing line which is designed to be ultra smooth!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not using fishing line for the ghost to hook to. I will take a picture to show you what I use. It is black braided twine which stretches enough to handle the distance I have from one end of the yard to the other, about 90 to 100 feet with a 4x4 post in the center as support.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My first thought was the same as mickkell's: the duty cycle on a motor like that is not 100%. By running it continuously, one might start a fire. I know; I have. Just remember that it is not a problem...until it is a problem.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So tonight we ran a test of the Axworthy and most of the props. Here is a short video with sound effects and fog plus the ghosts as they flew above. I ran them for five hours and no problems. There are still many animated props to go out but I'm happy with what works now. Hope you like, give me some feedback as to what could be corrected, and I hope the video come out with this new format. thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts