Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many of you want to colorize your displays. And DJ supply companies and musical stores like to sell those colored gels. However, they can be expensive. So what is an affordable option?

3-ring binder dividers!

Grab the transparent colored plastic dividers, kinda like these:

http://a.co/d/dhEX8Dc

I just snagged some from my office, and I'll add these to lights with some binder clips or electrical tape. Since most of the lights are low wattage and have large shrouds on them, the heat won't be too much of a problem. So if you can snag some from Staples, it should be far more affordable than actual par can filter gels.

Now, if you do have very bright flood lights, then yeah, get the gels. They'll handle the heat.

·
black light queen
2,545 Posts
I think it was last year or the year before that I purchased colored gels to experiment with ...
I was disappointed in the colors ... had better richer colors from color leds ... don't know why the gels didn't deliver for me ... I had tried using a couple manufactures and none were close to the leds

amk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think it was last year or the year before that I purchased colored gels to experiment with ...
I was disappointed in the colors ... had better richer colors from color leds ... don't know why the gels didn't deliver for me ... I had tried using a couple manufactures and none were close to the leds

amk
I think the quick answer is that LED have a tighter light bandwidth than a filament light bulb. Think of it as this: filament bulb light is bouncing back and forth across a 100 lane highway, an LED is bouncing back and forth across a 5 lane highway, and a laser is a mag lev bullet train. The tighter the bandwidth, the brighter and more consistent the light and less power needed per lumen. The LED lights are already tuned to a specific bandwidth so nothing is lost to the filter, it's already choked down the 'color' you want. To go back to the highway image, a filter puts up concrete barriers (without any merge lanes) across most of the lanes so only a couple lanes of traffic make it through the other side and the rest are stopped. You lose a lot of lumens using a filter vs using a dedicated color LED because of this.
With that being said, I don't recommend using lasers to illuminate your static props due to safety reasons. I hope this helps explain why gels and filters reduce overall light output!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts