Halloween Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bucky Brain Surgeon
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about a dozen DMX lights I'm controlling using VSA through an Enttec USB Pro. So far, I've had to try various settings on the DMX channels for each light to get the effects I want. This does get a bit tedious because I have to try different combinations of settings over and over.

I was just wondering if anyone had devised a more efficient method.

·
Bucky Brain Surgeon
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For say light 1, I might have 5 dmx channels. 1=blue 2=green 3=red 4=strobe 5=brightness.

To see how the mix of colors will look, I have to lay down VSA events for the various channels. Lets say I want a kind of violet color. I have to experiment with setting the various levels for the blue and red channel. This may give me the color I'm looking for but perhaps not the right intensity. The brightness control gives me a range of control over the brightness of these colors at the same time, but not really the intensity.

So, what I have to do is go back and forth with the values for the blue and red channels and I might get the right hue, but maybe it's too bright. If I lower the brightness, it changes the hue a little. I go back and forth and back and forth trying to get what I need. What I am worried about is that we truck all of this stuff to a campground 90 miles away. The distance between lights and their subjects will vary from what I have here at home. I will also have a totally different ambient light situation there. Because of this, I will have to do all of the lighting after it is all set up and if I have to do this back and forth stuff, it will take a very long time.

I'm just looking for a way to do this more quickly. Perhaps there is a free virtual controller out there that will allow me to move virtual sliders on the computer to change the value of the lights "live" AND show me the DMX value being sent to the light. I could then easily edit the events I have already programmed into VSA to the values I have experimented with in the virtual controller program.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Could you use a "real-time" DMX SW controller to dial in the colors you want and then transpose those values to VSA? I will be getting into this as well, so I'm interested in it not being a headache. I thought Enttec had a free light control SW application that acted like a virtual light control board. So move "sliders" and intensity of each color changes.

·
Bucky Brain Surgeon
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked Enttec's site and tried one of the downloads there, but what I got seemed way complicated. I played with it for a while and never got it to control anything.

·
Bucky Brain Surgeon
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This does essentially what I want. The only hassle is that I have to change the dip switch address of the light I want to test because this software is limited to the first 24 channels of DMX and my VSA DMX devices begin at address 33.

Anyway, it shows me live what the color mix, brightness and etc. is as well as the actual values of each of the virtual sliders. It would be perfect if I could run all of the dmx channels at the same time. I found one program that has the ability to display all 512 channels of dmx, but I couldn't get it to work.

Here is a link to the one that I got to work: Open Source DMX lighting control software

·
Bucky Brain Surgeon
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dad always used to say, where there is a will, there is a way. I went back to the other program and tried different settings. The program is made specifically for an Enttec Pro. If you look at the pic below you will see a window that says "settings" and within that window is something called "Pro Widget 1" and "Pro Widget 2". There are no instructions and I have no clue what Widgets refers to or what ART-NET is or does. But I got it to work. I ignored the Pro Widget 2 options. Under Pro Widget 1 I set the com port that the Enttec Pro is on, in this case 10. I set the # of Active Channels to TX (transmit I assume) and clicked Open Com Port under Pro Widget 1. Then I clicked on ART-NET TX. When I moved the virtual sliders in the bottom window, my dmx light responded. Notice above the sliders it shows the DMX value of the slider setting. It shows both % and exactly what I need, the 1-255 value DMX setting I need to put into VSA. This will save me just a ton of time figuring out adjustments for the values for the VSA events that I set up initially at home.

Here is the link for the download: JS_Riddler.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts