Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each year we give awards for best costume, Winking Killer game, etc. Problem is, the presentation of these awards has always been a little...scattered. I've never been able to figure out the best way to present these during the night. We typically have 50-70 folks attend.

How do you present awards at your parties? Do you make a big deal of it in front of the whole crowd, or is it more of a "you've got an awesome costume, here's your award"-type-deal?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Great topic...we have this same issue and can't wait to hear everyone's suggestions. When we had our smaller party (about 25) we did a huge reveal and it went over great but last year (with a little over 80 guests) we just discretely voted ourselves and handed out the prizes, no big fuss on our part or our guests :( We also had a raffle last year, and after all the drama with kids stealing raffle tickets and cheating (long story but basically someone dropped her 4 young kids off at my 13+ only party and fled to a haunted house 1 hr away), we were done...just drew the tickets and gave the kids their winnings...which totally sucked :(

This year we have costume, zombie nom noms and scavenger hunt prizes to hand out and I'm hoping we can have a much better presentation...

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
This has always been a problem with us too. I try to get everyone to gather around and I do the presentation, but there are always those who just don't care. lol They just lag in the back or don't come over at all. Oh well, the ones who are interested and excited are the ones that will help make the presentation a big deal.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I agree with Shadow, I try to gather everyone in one location but you ALWAYS have some that never participate. Have fun with ones who care.

·
🎃 | )ark ( )verlord 🎃
1,092 Posts
Get a karaoke machine or a bull horn and get everyone's attention center stage!

Good luck sounds like fun :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
I love to give out door prizes and awards at our mystery parties, and I have found that the amount of attention I get can usually be traced back to the alcohol intake of the guests. Haha it's funny but it's true - the more people drink, the less they care about following rules or standing around listening, even if they get something out of it. I have found that setting a time frame on activities and then the big awards/prizes is they key - I make sure that all of my "planned" activities are done early enough to still have everyone's attention - usually before 9pm, and then after that is free time.

Another thing I have found helps is giving people a rundown of the "itinerary" at the start. So, for example:

Welcome everyone, we have gathered here tonight to... (just kidding, I don't say that)

We're going to get this investigation of *Murder Mystery Name** started with the Announcement of Murder, so get your notepads ready! **housekeeping housekeeping yahda yahda...**

You'll have 60 minutes to question the suspects to find the killer. After that we will have the Big Reveal, then door prizes and awards, so make sure you get your door prize tickets from that fabulous-looking woman there, and your nominations for best costume go in that box on that table there, then after that we will crank the tunes and you can shake your booty a bit and hit the bar. Sound good?

Finally, another great way to keep people engaged through the awards is to separate them/keep them in teams - if they are doing some team-based activity toward the end (in my case, they are sleuthing in teams), they are easier to keep focused through the awards, so if you are planning any games that require people to team up, put them at the end just before your awards.

Hope this helps!

Of course, there are always going to be a few who do their own thing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cloak, I'll be investing in a bull horn for sure, and I will come up with an agenda as you suggested, mysterymaiden. Thanks so much for the ideas!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I love to give out door prizes and awards at our mystery parties, and I have found that the amount of attention I get can usually be traced back to the alcohol intake of the guests. Haha it's funny but it's true - the more people drink, the less they care about following rules or standing around listening, even if they get something out of it.
Ha Ha Ha That was my thought when I read the OP I think it's important to do it early enough that people are still interested.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,100 Posts
These are all great ideas! I have @40 people this year and wondering what you give as prizes
Usually I give gift cards- which makes everyone interested in winning and paying attention who actually won stuff. Anyone have any thoughts on cheap prizes but that are useful or practical or original?
If I play family feud - I might have to hand out 20 prizes! (Assuming all guests play ��)
Any ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts