Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have been useing an air tank and a cigarette lighter power converter with one of those remote controlled ac adaptors to operate this prop in the back of my truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so4qydCXxqA

I was wondering if it could be operated by a wiper motor.
I figure it would need a big crank shaft.
I know wiper motors are powerful. but dont know if it would be powerful enough to work.

fright props has a speed control that says it can slow down a dc motor w/o losing tork.
but will i need to power it with a controler with a relay rather than the simple cigarette converter/ remote ac adaptor?

any help figuring out how to get it to work would be helpfull.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
I think that a wiper motor or any other strong, low RPM gear motor would have enough power to make him sit up. Are you powering the motor from the truck's battery?

Just a suggestion, but I think the easiest way to make this prop work with a wiper or gear motor would be to spring-load the prop in the "sitting up" position. Then the motor only has to do the work of pulling him back and making him lay down again.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that a wiper motor or any other strong, low RPM gear motor would have enough power to make him sit up. Are you powering the motor from the truck's battery?

Just a suggestion, but I think the easiest way to make this prop work with a wiper or gear motor would be to spring-load the prop in the "sitting up" position. Then the motor only has to do the work of pulling him back and making him lay down again.
Yeah, I want to power it through a power inverter plugged into the CIG lighter/power outlet.
Thought I would use a parking wiper motor.

but before it goes to the power inverter, I had been using a remote ac outlet. Like what you would plug outdoor decorations into. Then activate with the remote.
But I seem to remember something about needing a relay with motorized props. Don't really know much about this part.
Fright props has a wireless trigger with two relays.
Just trying to confirm if I need it before buying.

Back to your idea, can you explain a bit more on how it would work?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah, I want to power it through a power inverter plugged into the CIG lighter/power outlet.
Thought I would use a parking wiper motor.

but before it goes to the power inverter, I had been using a remote ac outlet. Like what you would plug outdoor decorations into. Then activate with the remote.
But I seem to remember something about needing a relay with motorized props. Don't really know much about this part.
Fright props has a wireless trigger with two relays.
Just trying to confirm if I need it before buying.

When you say a "wiper motor", do you mean like these: Scary Terry Wiper Motor Page

Wiper motors, since they're designed to operate car windshield wipers, run directly off of 12V (e.g., the cigarette lighter outlet), so I'm not sure why the AC inverter's getting involved.

With regard to the prop, spring loading it would definitely produce the best "jump", but it might be a little tricky to engineer with a wiper motor; wiper motors can't be driven from the output side, so you'd have to find some way to disengage the motor to let the zombie spring up. I've actually been looking at some good ways to do that, but I don't have any proven designs at this point.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, thats the type of motor.
currently the prop is air powered.
the sollinoid (sp?)is pluged into something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Electrician-RC-012-1-TR-009-Remote-Control/dp/B001DF2QDK/ref=sr_1_6/185-6527170-7813522?ie=UTF8&qid=1395708577&sr=8-6&keywords=remote+control+electric+outlet
this is how I activate it from the drivers seat.
this remoted controlled outlet goes into a power converter similar to this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bravo-View-INV-600-Bravo-View-600-Watt-Peak-Power-Inverter-with-Game-Plate/13398247

I think I will need something like this to remotely activate this wiper motor:
http://www.frightprops.com/wireless-trigger-2-relay-25354.html

I remember, in the past, trying to hook a motor to the light sensor to activate it. didnt work. I think i was told it needed a relay.
I ditched the idea.
never learned why.
now i am remembering that experience as i try to convert this prop.

·
Registered
854 Posts
This prop has a lot of potential. I'm going to let this rattle around my head for a bit, and see what comes out. I wish I could do this to my truck, but it has already been purposed. I want to set this up in a used car lot, and scare the bejesus outta somebody...hmmmm
HM

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Well, I'm not sure what kind of linkage you would need, but my suggestion was to have something like a long screen door spring holding the prop up in the sitting position with the other end of the spring hooked near the tailgate. This way you would have more room for the motor and linkages BEHIND the prop, instead of trying to make room in front of it (or under it). Plus the spring would help to lift the prop and take some stress off the motor.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,420 Posts
You could use a rack and pinion set up with the rack connected to the mount where the cylinder is currently attached . Are you wanting to eliminate the air tank? If not why not just switch out the solenoid to a 12 volt solenoid then all you would need is a momentary switch coming from a 12 volt source.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could use a rack and pinion set up with the rack connected to the mount where the cylinder is currently attached . Are you wanting to eliminate the air tank? If not why not just switch out the solenoid to a 12 volt solenoid then all you would need is a momentary switch coming from a 12 volt source.
yes, I want to eliminate the need for air

1 - 9 of 9 Posts