Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking online and can't find anything. Went to ROT Haunted House this weekend and they have an effect where the lights in the main room are always on but will begin to fade in out/on off along with a sound of a power surge. Any ideas on how to accomplish an effect like this using regular bulbs/fixtures? TIA

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I think you mean a brown out effect, a power surge would make the lights brighter. You can do the brown out with a programmable controller that can do PWM and some Solid State relays.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it. Thx for replies. Was hoping it could be done with Perfect Storm 2.0 but I realized that the lights are always off until the sound makes them turn on and then flicker.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Got it. Thx for replies. Was hoping it could be done with Perfect Storm 2.0 but I realized that the lights are always off until the sound makes them turn on and then flicker.
Actually all you would need is a SPDT 120vac relay to make that work. The output of the Perfect Storm would control the relay. Connect your lights to the "C" Common and Normally Closed "NC" terminals. The lights will be normally on and flicker/dim/go out in sync with the audio. Of course you will be wiring up the relay for 120vac so if you're not knowledgeable/comfortable doing that please get help from someone that is.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Here's my idea. Get a flickering tea light, wire the light to a normally-closed solenoid, so when the flickering light's voltage is strong enough, it'll open the solenoid and make the lights go out. It wouldn't dim, but it would get that shorting-out effect.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't think you are going to get the effect you are looking for using a relay/selenoid. If you your someone you know has some experience with Arduino programming here is a board you can purchase that be connected to an Arduino and create the power surge effect by dimming a lamp. If you scroll down the page a bit there is a place to download some sample Arduino code.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts