Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some gear motors online that sounds interesting but I was wondering if there is some easy for the math impaired types to figure out how powerful they are and if they would work for something like a FCG or stirring cauldron or such.anyone have any minimum power requirements for these kinda of props?
Gear Motor
Open, close or move whatever with this mighty little 3-12VDC 4RPM gear motor designed to operate a vent in a Chrysler product. Draws just 15mA no-load and stalls at 200mA. Output is via a 1/2" dia x 1/2" long sprocketed shaft.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bro, that seems like a bit small for a FCG or cauldron, In my experience you simply can't beat a wiper motor for the cauldron, they are cheap and have lots of tourque.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I have a dayton for my FCG and a wiper motor for a caldron but saw these and was trying to think of some uses along that line.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You know what comes to mind is you can always create some light duty props for them.

Maybe an FCG spider, since you can literally make them much lighter than a FCG ghost.

depending on what kind of torque the motor has you may want to even create something like a dancing Faux Flame, don't know if a paper mache candelabra would be light enough . Depending on the batteries and type of fan used it could be very likely light enough to work as that particular motor. I think using small fans scrapped from desktops or scrapped game consoles would be more than light enough, silk is already light weight along with a DC LED so really between the fan and battery weight would be actually the equation.

That is what comes to mind with the motors you have.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
Those motors are great for a lot of props and they have quite a bit of torque. I think it's a bit small for an FCG, though. I ordered mine from Electronic Goldmine and they are 5 RPM, continuous duty. But I saw the 4 RPM ones for sale on the Surplus Center site and their description claims they are intermittent duty. However a member of Hauntforum claimed that they used those 4 RPM motors and they ran continuously with no problems.
I've made a skeleton behind a tombstone prop that turn it's head back and forth, a skeleton "bobbing"head behind a tombstone, and a stirring cauldron for a little girl witch all using that motor. I can post pics/video if you want.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those motors are great for a lot of props and they have quite a bit of torque. I think it's a bit small for an FCG, though. I ordered mine from Electronic Goldmine and they are 5 RPM, continuous duty. But I saw the 4 RPM ones for sale on the Surplus Center site and their description claims they are intermittent duty. However a member of Hauntforum claimed that they used those 4 RPM motors and they ran continuously with no problems.
I've made a skeleton behind a tombstone prop that turn it's head back and forth, a skeleton "bobbing"head behind a tombstone, and a stirring cauldron for a little girl witch all using that motor. I can post pics/video if you want.
Yes please do

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I wonder what the gemmy witch uses? I'm sure it is not a wiper motor.

Just a FYI for FCG I have made a few in the past with rotisserie motors. Came out perfect and no problems. Plus, I bought one for this year off of ebay and it was using a disco ball motor. worked fine.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry got disracted by the nice chevell? oh and good Ideas on the props that's what I was thinking of doing with those motors.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry got distracted by the nice chevelle? oh and good Ideas on the props that's what I was thinking of doing with those motors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts