Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Master of my own Universe
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on some potion labels and thought I would share here.

A little background on the names etc on the labels - did some research and came up with these

Malefico means dark or evil, I thought it lent itself to Malefi Co. as a brand name

Ven banya is Hungarian for Old Hag, another good brand name I thought.

As for Mr S Todd & Co Ltd - that speaks for itself :D

Where possible I have used latin names for some of the labels. Most of these are exact, but one or two may have a little poetic licence ...

a few samples

More can be found in my album Halloween Forum - Herman Secret's Album: potion labels

Would be interested to hear what you think....

thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
That's great, Herman! I like the attention to detail and extra label information. At a first quick glance you might think its something off the shelf of Kroger's, then you read it and realize its probably more off the shelf of Krueger's (as in Freddy).

Great job, as always.

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
These are some very nice labels and very imaginative! I have been looking for some inspiration for myself. I think I just found it!

Thanks, HS!

Great job, going to check out your others!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Herman!!!!!! You're my savior! I was scratching my head trying to come up with cool but "classy" potion names.... The only thing I've got to do is translate everything to French.... You're a genius! ;)

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
WONDERFUL!!! Exactly what I was looking for!! I shall scare-lift these!! (In the scrapbooking world we say "scraplift" when we "borrow" someones idea, I just thought I'd create a Halloween friendly one!! LOL)

·
Girl Gone Mad
1,651 Posts
Awesome labels! For those of you who still need inspirations, OrientalTrading.com has added Labels to their halloween decor.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
These are kickin'! Really well done!

Only one issue, but it's important to me.

Not a single witch was ever burned in the Salem Hysteria. They were hung. A witness who refused to testify was pressed to death, but no fire.
That was european, not new world.

You're an excellent designer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
these are terrific!

These are truly wonderful, very imaginative. I have a question though... are you actually putting something in the bottles? or are they empty with the labels on them? If you are putting things in the bottles, may I ask what you are using for contents. Thanks... By the way They really are terrific labels.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
I too have labels and bottles all ready to go - but what the heck to put in them???

·
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last year, Dollar tree were doing packs of assorted internal organs (Heart Lungs Brain) that I will be using for The rats and bats organs.

Also Have the ones that expand in water - these will be for larger animal organs (and maybe human ones)

Also the snakes and insects that expand are also good contents

packs of plastic flies and bugs are also good contents

So what about liquid contents.

Food coloring added to water, Highlighter pens (soak them in water - these will also gow under blacklight - warning though, wear plastic gloves when working on these as hands tend to get stained and also glow !!)

For my Troll Snot, I used liquid soap that has the cleansing beads in ... can add some plain old dish washing liquid (different color) but dont mix it together - just swirl the contents. Believe me, it can look gross!

Tonic water is good if you have a blacklight.

A couple more ideas

Quaker Oats = dried skin
Hearth Ash = Ash of Witch etc
Pepper = Graveyard Dust

Herbs and Spices also make good contents

With the stores starting to put out Halloween goodies, body parts (eyes, fingers, toes, etc) make great contents also

Hopefully these ideas will get you started :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
My troll snot is clear gelatin mixed with green food coloring. I poured it into the hot water but left some globs. It is DISGUSTING!!!
I put in some clove oil to try to help preserve it but don't know how well it will work.
If it gets too yucky I will just dump it and do it again just before halloween.
Right now it was more just experimenting to see what it would look like.
It is my favorite one.

·
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Only one issue, but it's important to me.

Not a single witch was ever burned in the Salem Hysteria. They were hung. A witness who refused to testify was pressed to death, but no fire.
That was european, not new world.
I was gonna go for realism but couldn't get a bottle big enough to put a hanging witch in ... lol

I guess 1 - being European (English) and 2 - Not knowing American history has it drawbacks :(

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
LOL!

I wasn't suggesting a hanging witch's corpse in a bottle, but lemme tell ya, if you pulled off that prop, you'd be a legend 'round these parts.

I also wasn't trying to criticize, just offer some clarity. The Puritans of Salem followed English custom - the witch got the noose.

But if you wanted to reference burning without looking to Germany (they liked using fire) look no further than Paisley, Scotland. A well-known witch trail took place there from 1696 to 1697. Three men and three women were giving the mercy of being throttled to death in front of the crowd before they were burnt, but burned they were.
So there's a source for an intrepid ingredient explorer in the British Isles - Paisley, Scotland.
There's also North Berwick, Scotland. Numerous people were strangled and burned there as well for the crime of witchery. The North Berwick trials are known as being one of those few where the accused numbered in the thousands before the furor died down.

I guess the Scots wanted to be thorough.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts