Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time in 15 years of doing our haunt, we have a potential problem brewing. Around 7 p.m. a young boy around 10 or so came to the entrance of the haunt. He was given a candy bar and entered the dark, foggy tunnel. He came out a few seconds later and asked my wife's friend if she had a band aid as he had fallen and scraped his hand. she looked at the hand and it was fine, telling him he would be okay and didn't need a band aid. The kid then left and walked down the street. About 20 minutes later he returns with his mother. She comes blustering up to my wife and her friend and says she wants to know what happened as her son told her he had been BITTEN by someone in the canopy! She went on to say that " a doctor down the street" looked at him and said it was a bite and that he should be seen in the ER. Not sure what doctor she was referring to as it was afte 7 p.m. and there are no GP's in the area. The kid had changed his story and said he was grabbed, then bitten. My wife's friend told the mom that the kid said he had fallen. The mom then wants to know who was in the tunnel and what was going on in there. At this point, I'm hearing the commotion (she was making quite a production) and I go out to see what the problem is. The kid looks fine. His hand is not bleeding or anything. She starts getting in my face demanding to know who's house this is and who is working in the canopy. She then starts saying she has to take her kid to the ER. Then she goes to her car and calls the police!! THe cops show up and ask what happened. We each give our version of the story and the lady is sitting in her friggin car for 25 minutes on her cell phone! So much for her kid needing medical attention. The cop takes our names, address, DOB, etc. Very unsettling as this is happening at peak TOT hours and there are 40-50 people waiting to go through the haunt. I question my son and his friend who are in the canopy. They didn't touch the kds nor notice him having fallen. They certainly didn't bite him!
The cop told us that he told her to get the kid checked out and have a doctors report from and ED. If she opted to file a complaint, they would be contacting us. This is the kind of crap that makes me want to say to hell with it and just go back to front yard display and hand out candy. This woman (like many of our visitors) drive up from lesser neighborhoods in their big SUV's and let their kids go off by themselves. Obviously in their own hoods no one is giving out squat so they come to ours and we give them a great time. Most are very appreciative and tell us thanks. This lady is obviously out for something. I'm waiting now for the call that she is trying to sue us. AFAICS, she has little to go on and the kid is obviously being coached or he is just lying. So ludicrous! As much as we love Halloween and putting on our haunt, I can't be worrying about someone out to sue us. Hoping nothing comes of it. Will update if needed.

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
This is what stops me from opening my Haunt to the public. I know there are bloodsuckers out there just waiting to try and get whatever they can. My prayers are with you on this. Hopefully calmer heads will prevail in the end.

·
Registered
770 Posts
a bite and a scabe are very different. If she went to the ER with the police the ER will be able to confirm that its a scrabe on hes hand, and the joke is on her. Sue her for ruining youre halloween :p no seriously I dont think anything will come of it -there are always people like this, and they shouldnt be the reason to stop haunting. (and if it continues, just put up a big sigh in bloody letters saying " enter here at own risk!" and you will be legally free of responsibilety.

·
Crawling in my skin
2,236 Posts
Jdubba I am sorry this had to happen and damper the night for you! I don't know why people do this sort of thing. Hopefully things won't get that far. I wouldn't let this one kid spoil the fun of Halloween that you do for so many kids.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It put a damper on the whole evening, but I'm thinking it won't go anywhere. Their story is inconsistant and it's pretty clear they are out to scam someone. Hoping if they push it, a judge would see what's really going on.

·
Queen of Halloween
4,246 Posts
Wow...just wow. Why does there always have to be someone wanting to ruin an awesome thing?! :mad: I'm sorry this is happening, jdubbya.

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
I agree, with the inconsistencies in their stories & not going ~right to the ER (esp. after being advised to by the cops), something is up. Hoping for the best, & sorry it put a damper on your evening!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Please don't hate me for saying this but, being a Canadian, we have to sit back and laugh at the way Americans are so Litigation Happy. Here, you had better have something more than a scrape on your hand AND, if you do manage to get into a court and pass the original litmus test with your frivolous suit, there is a maximum ceiling that you can sue up to (yes of course there are certain exceptions) but, from where i sit (in Canada OR the United States) it is quite evident to me that Lawyers are certainly running (and ruining) our society. I say......suck it up and deal with the scratch kid.........This is a HUGE reason that i only run a static display every year, i can't be bothered with the whiners and scammers out there that are looking to get something more from someone else because they can't earn it on their own......

·
The Kitschiest Kitsch
1,760 Posts
Oh my! She definitely wants to get something out of this. And If my little one had fallen (with no major wound) I would have picked her up, brushed her off, kissed the 'boo-boo' and continued on. They're kids. They fall. Mine fell off her bike on the side walk and got a pretty nasty scrape on her elbow and I didn't sue the city! This woman is outta her damn mind! I'll be prayin' for ya dubb!

·
Super Moderator
5,662 Posts
I'm hoping nothing comes of it, and I'm confident it will eventually be tossed if they do pursue something. Having been sued (over saving someone's life no less), I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. (even though it was dropped, eventually, it was a major pain in the ass)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wish you would have politely pulled out your video camera and filmed her rant...to document the incident and prevent her from changing her story.

·
The Duke of Spook
1,976 Posts
Please don't hate me for saying this but, being a Canadian, we have to sit back and laugh at the way Americans are so Litigation Happy. Here, you had better have something more than a scrape on your hand AND, if you do manage to get into a court and pass the original litmus test with your frivolous suit, there is a maximum ceiling that you can sue up to (yes of course there are certain exceptions) but, from where i sit (in Canada OR the United States) it is quite evident to me that Lawyers are certainly running (and ruining) our society. I say......suck it up and deal with the scratch kid.........This is a HUGE reason that i only run a static display every year, i can't be bothered with the whiners and scammers out there that are looking to get something more from someone else because they can't earn it on their own......
You're my new best friend. :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about this. She sounds like she is definitely after something. If her child really did need medical attention (which I don't think he did) then she should have brought him to the ER right away, not sit on the phone in her car and rant about it. She would lose some credibility if it went to court, not to mention the changing stories as well. I really hope it doesn't go any further. Please don't let this incidence dampen your spirits!

·
Registered
203 Posts
That's what i thought too. As a Canadian we don't see this kind of crap, it isn't worth anyone's time or effort. Americans just love to sue each other for some reason or another. I guarantee you if a cop was involved here they would have told the rotten kid to "suck it up princess" and move on and told the mother to go home and take her meds. It wouldn't be worth the paperwork and would get anywhere. Lawyers charge a retainer fee here, so our system is a little different. Unless you cough up some dough, you lawsuit isn't going anywhere here.

What the worst part is that all the time and effort that is put into a haunt, one little sh*t and his mother may stop it from carrying on next year.

·
Suburban Sorceress
753 Posts
So sorry to hear about this after all your hard work you put into your haunt! I agree with the other posts that probably nothing will come out of it since she'd probably lose major credibility just trying to retell her story. Makes me so sad that people will result to this type of thing, whether out of laziness or desperation or just plain craziness! Maybe just look into a simple rules/liability sign that you could hang to prevent future minor issues? Keep doing what you do! I bet you can start another 15+ year streak!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hang in there and fight her all the way if need be. The facts and the truth are on your side. These bottom feeders try to scare people into a quick settlement, and fade away if you call their bluff. Otherwise they'll do it to someone else. It's certainly true that greed and ridiculous lawsuits have crippled our country. I know numerous stories from friends who are business owners about how they were harrassed by scammers with nothing but quick cash on their agenda. One local attraction had to stop their haunt because of high insurance premiums. Another one owns a skating rink and has never lost a suit because there are ample warnings posted, and he fought every lawsuit filed against him and won. Yet another friend owned a convenience store and someone claims they slipped on something. He found out that the same person filed several other similar complaints, all against businesses, but the law stated that previous ones couldn't be brought up in court. What a joke...Good luck.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts