Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Larry and everyone. I hope no one minds but I was thinking that since there are so many new members it may be helpful to have a quick lesson on posting pictures. Also a thread to test out the new skills. I thought that posting this in the general section will allow the most newbies to see this.

Disclaimer: I am in no way an expert on this. So anyone, please feel free to correct me or even add even more helpful tips in regards to posting pictures or even VIDEOS!

So, here it goes:

I don't know how much you know about posting pictures so hopefully I won't insult anyone but I will explain this in basic terms (also, because I'm not a master at this myself). :)

The first thing to understand is that the pictures that are on your laptop must somehow be put onto the internet so we can all see it. There are photo hosting websites that will allow you to do that. Then once you have it out in the internet, you basically tell the program here at the forum where to link to it so we can see it in your post.

So, to start, you need to pick a place to host your pictures on the web. There are all kinds of places to do this, Photobucket, Flicker and even right here at HalloweenForum. Photobucket and Flicker are actually nicknamed photo hosting sites. Now, remember, when you post a picture here at HalloweenForum, you are actually posting a link to a picture. That link directs the software on this site to go out and read that picture. So you gotta get your picture on your laptop onto a hosting site. So, for me, I've found it easy to have HalloweenForum store my pictures. If you look at my profile page, you will see I have several albums. The one I use for miscellaneous posting is called 'miscellaneous pictures' ...go figure.

Before posting a picture in a post, you first have to 'upload' the picture to one of your albums. - Again, you don't have to use HalloweenForum's album, you can go to other sites (Photobucket, Flicker). So, first, you must create an album at your profile page. Then click 'upload pictures.' It brings up a box where you can 'browse' your pictures that are stored on your computer's hard drive. Click on the picture you want to 'upload' and the magic begins.

Step 1: Upload the new file from your computer. Wait until you see the new picture show under 'Current Attachment'. Go to the bottom and click 'Close Window'.

Step 2: The next window shows your new picture as 'pending'. Be sure to then click 'Save Changes'. Then, you're all good!

Now, to post the picture in a post, look at your picture that you just 'uploaded' and 'saved.' At the bottom of the screen is two selections, 'Picture URL' and 'BB code.' I have no idea what those mean but I do know that I want the 'BB code' one. I click on it to highlight it and then right click and select 'copy'. I then go to the post I want to put it in, right click and select 'paste.' Then submit your post and WALLA! your picture will be there after you hit the submit button.

There is a way to have people see your picture without you pre-loading it to a picture hosting site but it has some bugs. Sometimes the picture will embed into the post and sometimes it will show a link that people have to click to see. Anyways here's those instructions:

In the 'Quick Reply' and 'Advanced Reply' boxes (where you craft your posts) there is a button that has a picture of a tree. Click that button. You have two choices that are shown in tabs. One is to get a picture from your computer... the other is get a picture from a URL. So, if you use the computer option, you don't have to deal with first uploading into a photo sharing website or your album here. The problem is sometimes it just shows a link that people have to click on - sometimes it embeds (no idea why). The other option is to use the URL. This will embed the picture into your post every time. You can get the URL of a picture if it's already on the web... like your pictures in your albums here. When you view your pictures at your album here you still have those familiar choices: URL or BB code. Copy the URL into the button dialog box of the picture frame and it will embed your picture. You can still do it the old way of simply copying the BB Code of your pictures in the album and just posting it in the reply box but this is a new option. The BB Code will also embed your picture into the post every time.

Note: I like to just use the BB Code. I usually have two tabs open in the Explorer browser. One tab is open to my albums here at HalloweenForum. The other tab is open to the post I am crafting. I copy the BB Code from the album tab into the other tab showing the post I'm crafting. I don't mess with the picture button at all.

Video: In the past when you simply copied the URL of a video of yours (like at YouTube) the software here would automatically embed the video. Currently that feature isn't working. But, if you use the button that looks like a filmstrip that will bring up a dialog box where you can post that same URL of your video and it will then embed your video.

Feel free to practice posting pictures and videos here on this thread.

Hope this helps :)

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks MsMeeple. I remember when I was new to posting on the internet. It seemed that everyone just knew how to post pictures. So I kept thinking that it was easier than I was finding out and I didn't want to broadcast to the forum that I was not only a newbie but an idiot newbie at that. :rolleyes: But, now I realize that we all felt the same way until, finally, we had stumbled on how to do it or finally screwed up the courage to ask...LOL!

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Since we are allowed to practice here, this is something else I"ve been wanting to try/know.
I know how to post youtube and photobucket videos here, but first I have to upload my wmv to photobucket or youtube before I can post it here. That's an extra step considering I have it on my server. But the wmv isn't embedded on my server. So, will it be automatically embedded if I put a link here? Gonna give it a go!

http://www.msmeeple.com/boogieorgan.wmv

Ahh it didnt work. But nice to know I have a place to mess up and feel ok about it lol

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Okay, let me try it. Until now I have been giving links to photos saved on my computer and the picture doesn't show up in the post.

Thank you so much for the lesson!

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you getting cute graphics like this in your visitor messages?

And would like to post them too?:

Here's how I find and post graphics. I went to Photobucket.com (you can go to any photo web hosting site) and did a search for "Happy Halloween." When I found a thumbnail of a picture I liked I clicked on it to bring me to the picture's page.

Now that you are on the page, scroll down a bit and you will see a field of weird-looking computer jargon. You are looking for the last one that says this:
IMG Code - Forums & Bulletin Boards
The box under this has the jargon the computer program here at Halloween Forum needs to post your picture. The software here at Halloween Forum likes the IMG code so wherever you are copying pictures, look for that code. The giveaway is that it has
in the front and the end of it.

Okay, back to getting the picture: Hover your mouse over that field and click on it and it will turn blue and say 'copy.' Then go to your post here at Halloween Forum and right click and select 'paste.' The weird computer jargon will paste onto your post and when you hit 'submit post' your picture will be there.

A gotcha: Even though when you click on the picture at Photobucket and it says it copied, occasionally it doesn't work. So, I have created a habit of making sure it copies by clicking on it to make it turn blue but then I go the extra step by right clicking and hitting 'copy' myself. It seems to stick better. I don't know why. That's the fun mystery of computers. ;)

Feel free to use this thread to practice posting anything: Graphics, video, pictures....

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I just noticed that occasionally the previous animated picture I posted just before this post is being replaced with a large "Upgrade to Pro today." Well that's another gotcha that will get you when you post pictures and such. If you copy any old picture or graphic on the web, there's a chance that the person who had originally posted it will change it or delete it or in this case occasionally exceed their bandwidth. LOL! Which is what is happening here. This is the animated picture I originally am trying to post:

Okay, now I know that the animated picture I just posted will be there forever because I copied the picture to my Photobucket account (not using someone else's) and I will be able to make sure it stays there all the time.

So, the moral of the story is that you can be sure that your picture will always be there if you post it yourself to the internet. Also, when you just copy another person's picture it is called 'stealing bandwidth' and ticks people off sometimes. So, it's a good habit to import pictures you like to your own account on a photo hosting website.

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
I like to imbed links (to external files) in the text itself. Like, click here to see Chuckles. Clicking the word "here" will open a new window with an image or a web page of images.

To do that, first copy the complete URL to your clipboard (select it & hit CTRL-C). Then, go to HalloweenForum, create your message, and start typing. When you get to where you want to imbed your link, type (without the quotes) "[" then "url=" then paste the URL (CTRL-V) and add the closing "]". Then type the word that you want people to click (I like to use the word "here"). Finally, add the closing tag "[", "/url", "]".

I had to separate the "[" and the tag because otherwise it was treated like an actual hot link and not plain text.

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like to imbed links (to external files) in the text itself. Like, click here to see Chuckles. Clicking the word "here" will open a new window with an image or a web page of images.

To do that, first copy the complete URL to your clipboard (select it & hit CTRL-C). Then, go to HalloweenForum, create your message, and start typing. When you get to where you want to imbed your link, type (without the quotes) "[" then "url=" then paste the URL (CTRL-V) and add the closing "]". Then type the word that you want people to click (I like to use the word "here"). Finally, add the closing tag "[", "/url", "]".

I had to separate the "[" and the tag because otherwise it was treated like an actual hot link and not plain text.
I've always wanted to know how to do that!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, lemme test:

If people want to get to the wikipedia about Halloween go here

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, by clicking "Go Advanced", you can upload images directly from your computer without first having them stored somewhere on the internet or in a HalloweenForum album. However, there are strict file size and type limitations.

How exactly do you do that? I don't see anything but the picture icon and that needs a url.

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
Ohh, I see it. Let's give it a go:
The BAD thing about posting pics that way is that it does NOT open a new window. So if, by habit, the person viewing the image closes the image's window, he/she is also closing the HalloweenForum window and will have to relaunch it. I know. I've done it several times...

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The BAD thing about posting pics that way is that it does NOT open a new window. So if, by habit, the person viewing the image closes the image's window, he/she is also closing the HalloweenForum window and will have to relaunch it. I know. I've done it several times...
Yep, I see now how people do those links. Yeah, don't like them either. I can't tell you how many times I accidentally closed the Halloween Forum. Grrr. ;)

Again, anyone, feel free to practice here so we can see your pictures and videos in the post.

1 - 20 of 261 Posts