Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bog Body
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just finished my first paper mache skull duplicate. i'm rather shocked at the ease of making these! i could see myself making one every night. before bed spend an hour in cutting the old one off, patching up the front and back of the skull, then covering the skull again to dry over night. unlimited realistic skulls for the price of white glue! my dad gives me his old newspapers =)

note to self though, don't use masking tap to cover the gaps, holes, sockets. it sticks to the mache and the skull making it a pain to pull off. going to either try noting first and just make sure the mache doesn't get into anything. next if that doesn't work out well, modeling clay.

also, wd-40 is awesome as a release agent!

thanks to spookyblue for the tutorial!

instead of what the tutorial suggested, i just cut from ear to ear to remove it.

i also removed the jaw and mached it separately. this way i can position it as i want later and focus on mass production hehe.

p.s. yep, my phone is orange and black =D

·
Registered
552 Posts
Man, I was working on a cow skull for my wraith stalker and made too much paste. Now I know what to use it on.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,078 Posts
That is a very impressive skull! I love it! :cool:

(I have to stop looking at this stuff... too much to do already! :eek: )

·
Bog Body
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
catch is my spider victim has no head haha. using his skull as the mold.

i know, right?! no catch. scary! maybe it's that it's too addicting? i can see myself having a pile of surplus skulls in the corner soon lol!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh, I love Spooky Blue's work on some of the pumpkin creatures! I used the method to make the root claw for my pumpkin creature. That skull turned out amazing! I thought for a second that it was a picture of the paper mache covering the actual skull before you cut it off! Keep it up!

·
Registered
84 Posts
How do you manage to get such fine detail such as in the nose?

I'm starting my first mache pumpkin but it has bumps and creases everywhere so I can see myself spending a lot of time trying to get rid of them.

·
Bog Body
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i make sure to smooth out creases before it starts to dry. i press in with my finger nails or small flat hear screw diver to get details like in the nose or around the teeth. also, i only use the thin normal newspaper, not the thicker stuff that comes in some adds or other publications.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts