Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had 2 of my pose stays (haven't been out for even 2 weeks) literally split in two right in the lumbar region. Not sure if the FL heat has made them soft and then the wind just snapped them? Last year's I had no problems at all. It seems this years batch ribs have been breaking also. Anyone else had issues with them?
IMG_0506.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
sure it wasnt the ICBM that did it ?

jk. florida heat can be a b to plastics and glues.

could be that they used different glue or less glue this time

·
Registered
472 Posts
That is not good at all. I was not impressed with the skellies I got this year as they had no wire inside the spine. That looked like a weak link to me and yours have proven that. I would suggest doing to a DIY store and getting some 1/4" all thread , nuts and fender washers (wider about the size of a 50 cent piece) and fixing them - sure there will be a nut on top of the skull, but then again the heads wont be doing the Exorcist trick (least mine keep doing that)

From what I can tell of your Haunt - It Rocks ,nicely done !

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. Will have to try that to fix them up for next year. Im too tired to do anything else....

That is not good at all. I was not impressed with the skellies I got this year as they had no wire inside the spine. That looked like a weak link to me and yours have proven that. I would suggest doing to a DIY store and getting some 1/4" all thread , nuts and fender washers (wider about the size of a 50 cent piece) and fixing them - sure there will be a nut on top of the skull, but then again the heads wont be doing the Exorcist trick (least mine keep doing that)

From what I can tell of your Haunt - It Rocks ,nicely done !

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Whoa, bummer. I bought two this year, but they have been indoors. Are yours from Costco? If so, you could probably return them if you wanted.

·
Banned
337 Posts
Hi martix. As starzen mentioned, it's the weather causing the deterioration. It's not the heat as much as it is the uv in the suns rays that destroys plastic at a molecular level. Vinyl siding, flower pots and car dashboards are blended with chemicals to retard the destructive effects of uv, but I'm pretty sure the chinese didn't add any in the skelly plastic because of the added expense. I'm afraid you're going to see continued rapid deterioration as long as they're in the sun all day. The thinner pieces are going to crumble and crack first as was the case in the pilot's (or soldier's) vertebra joint. Rumsfield was on the right track with his suggestion. My thought would be to just find any solid rod, a tree branch maybe or better yet, rebar or a metal rod to shove up his poop shoot to just a few inches or as far as you can past the failed joint for this year. Super glue is great and would help in additiion. But don't fret, you'll have a pile of bones for next year's inspiration. Just my 2 cents and I love the scene. Happy Halloween Mom.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's not weather, it's a manufacturing default. I was zip-tying one of these to a piece of PVC and it popped apart in the exact same place.

·
Undertaker
3,205 Posts
I have had 2 of my pose stays (haven't been out for even 2 weeks) literally split in two right in the lumbar region. Not sure if the FL heat has made them soft and then the wind just snapped them? Last year's I had no problems at all. It seems this years batch ribs have been breaking also. Anyone else had issues with them?
View attachment 181757
View attachment 181758
That is so cool! I love it! Well, not that its broke...It's a great display!

·
Undertaker
3,205 Posts
Hi martix. As starzen mentioned, it's the weather causing the deterioration. It's not the heat as much as it is the uv in the suns rays that destroys plastic at a molecular level. Vinyl siding, flower pots and car dashboards are blended with chemicals to retard the destructive effects of uv, but I'm pretty sure the chinese didn't add any in the skelly plastic because of the added expense. I'm afraid you're going to see continued rapid deterioration as long as they're in the sun all day. The thinner pieces are going to crumble and crack first as was the case in the pilot's (or soldier's) vertebra joint. Rumsfield was on the right track with his suggestion. My thought would be to just find any solid rod, a tree branch maybe or better yet, rebar or a metal rod to shove up his poop shoot to just a few inches or as far as you can past the failed joint for this year. Super glue is great and would help in additiion. But don't fret, you'll have a pile of bones for next year's inspiration. Just my 2 cents and I love the scene. Happy Halloween Mom.
Would a layer of paint and clear coat protect the plastic from breaking down??

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Whoa, bummer. I bought two this year, but they have been indoors. Are yours from Costco? If so, you could probably return them if you wanted.
I would be embarrassed to return them since I have been using them. But yes, they were at costco. Thanks for the idea!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts