Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think this is the blow-molded (?) version that you can get at a few places (Spirit included) for 22/23. The parts aren't bonelike, think tubes, the rib-cage is one big piece. I think you might be disappointed. These skellies have their uses, especially where you need one that is light to climb walls, climb into a chimney, go up and down on a rope. That kind of application.

Last year was my first big year for buying stuff, and bought one of these guys last year, like you, just to see what it was about. Either I am becoming a better shopper, or last year seems to have been the year that acceptable skellies (non blow-molded) dropped below the $50-$60 price point; I cleaned out Home Depot when I found some at $30 in early September, and also got some for even less (maybe $19?) at Walgreens in a post Halloween sale, but that seems to have been specific to that one Walgreen's, and was not available at others.

EDIT: I think I misinterpreted the earlier post and they were ribbing on the blow molded guy. Never mind. Stupid, stupid, stupid...(me that is).
Yes - I was joking!

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Some background on halloween skeletons for newbies reading this thread, a "blow mold" skeleton, which use to be the only game in town unless you bought a medical-educational blucky (plaster and heavy) for over $100+, is shown in Post #12 above. Blow molds are hollow and their skulls generally look kind of alien. Most people still probably have these in their garages or basements if they decorated their house in the early 2000s. I know I do and you can still do some cool things with them, just that they don't look "realistic" and now like mentioned cost in the $20 (like $10 or less back in 2008 when I started decorating).

I think the first good looking inexpensive skeleton was sold by Walgreens around 2011. Affectionally called "Wally" and was sold in the store and online for a few years. A fan favorite here on HF for as long as Walgreens carried it. It was priced around $30 and you could get better pricing with store sales. Wally sold fabulously and the following year other versions of "realistic" skeletons started emerging.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Does anyone on here know off hand if the posable and/or pose and hold skeletons are the same? Also wondering if their hip and arm joints can be pivoted like the old Wally's? I have a few pose and stays so I know you can't with those but I'm unsure about the posable ones that seem to be offered all over now.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Got mine today. had a little photo shoot with it. i think it is the same ones that walmart had last year. although the plastic on these seem super thin compared. all the joints have this ratcheting system to hold the limbs in place. that's nice. there are screws everywhere on this thing. especially on the back. only four bolts on the shoulders and hips. the plastic on the legs are especially thin and the front and back don't line up to well. overall for the money there not to bad but if we can get a better one for around $40 id wait for that one. this guy is pretty cheaply made. but saying that i will get good use out of them. also the head can be rotated if you take 2 screws off that hold it in place. it doesn't stay on to well without them but it works. i did this to one i had sitting in my car last year and it never fell off.

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Kindo I saw your photos last night when I dropped in on this thread. This morning however all of the photos are missing with just a blue box with a ? mark inside in their place. Do you know what happened to them? They were great poses showing various ways the prop could be positioned and showing the joints and connector parts.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Kindo I saw your photos last night when I dropped in on this thread. This morning however all of the photos are missing with just a blue box with a ? mark inside in their place. Do you know what happened to them? They were great poses showing various ways the prop could be positioned and showing the joints and connector parts.
Hmm. I still see them. I do have problems seeing a lot of photos on my phone. Right now i am on my desktop.

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Kindo I see them now and also see that you are online here. By any chance did you link to the photos on your computer? If so, I think when you are signed off or shut your computer down the photos will disappear because your computer isn't available to display the photos. Best bet to keep photos visible here for the benefit of others here is to either upload to a service that is always available like Flickr, Photobucket, etc. and not delete or move them (which will break the links) or preferably create an album here and upload and post from there. Free album space.

Hmmm. Now Kindo is signed off of HF and I'm still seeing the photos.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I know the wife had several blowmold skellies when we met and we used them but over the years they are falling apart so i revamp them and use the bodies for under shirts and stuff to give dimension to my characters and not have to make body forms for them.

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Kindo, I like your structure in progress BTW. Is it attached to porch posts? Love to see a photo taken further back for a wider view. We have a covered porch area with posts so you've got me curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
476 Posts
anybody still having a problem with the pics? i use photobucket for all my pics. i've tested this thread on 2 different pc's with no problems. probably just a fluke.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Kindo, I like your structure in progress BTW. Is it attached to porch posts? Love to see a photo taken further back for a wider view. We have a covered porch area with posts so you've got me curious. Thanks.

it is some what. its my carport. ill be doing something similar on my porch as well here soon. they have the same pillars. i have a thread with more pics that show the carport pillars a bit better.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/147589-rear-projection-screen-broken-down-wall-facade.html

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the skeleton pics. They've confirmed that I want to hold out for some that have thicker plastic. I'm sure these would be fine for some applications, just not what I need.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Took the chance and just ordered. Hope the quality is decent but cannot beat the price.
Hope my wife does not get mad!
Total cost: $67.55 for two.

Or...I could have bought this one on Amazon for 29.99....just saying....

View attachment 282465
I received my two skeletons from Costume Party yesterday. Quality is definitely less than Pose-N-Stay but works for my purposes. Attached are some pictures. One thing I initially liked was that the hands could be twisted. But, the plastic was too soft/thin and it felt like it would break if I forced it. I don't like the fact that Costco is only selling the new Pose-N-Stay Pirate Skeleton.....not as versatile in my opinion. Okay if you only want to do pirates but what about other themes?

Skeleton - foot.jpg Skeleton - head - teeth.jpg Skeleton - hands.jpg

21 - 40 of 54 Posts