Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been keeping an eye out for a decent bluetooth speaker that wouldn't break the bank. Something I can set up in my yard haunt and play sound effects on a loop. This one is $20 today (down from an overpriced $119)

Amazon's Deal of the Day 4/24/15 (EDIT: Still available at this price April 30, 2015): Photive Cyren Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker, Black

This is not an affiliate link or anything. I've not used this one so I can't speak to it's quality, but I'm ordering one and thought others might be interested.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Hope it works out for ya. There's a lot of these on the market, unfortunately not all are good sound quality. I picked up some (can't remember the brand) on clearance at a Walgreens last year for a price I couldn't pass up. I took them back, the sound was not what I expected.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I hope it works out too. I'm fully aware that $20 speaker can sound like... well, a $20 speaker. I plan to use mine to loop eerie ghost-like sounds in my yard haunt.

I'll report back after I test it. It looks like the sale goes on for a few more days.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried it out last night. It's pretty clear and good at 50ft. Not really LOUD however. I played a song and could hear the lyrics and chords clearly at 50ft. away. The unit is the size of a brick and battery powered. Also has a line-in if you don't want to use Bluetooth.

It all depends on what you want to use this for. I'm using it for random graveyard ambiance effects - ghostly sounds and wolf howls. The bass isn't very loud... so for effects like thunder or demonic grumblings, it might not be that great.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Mine is scheduled to arrive today. For $20, it was worth the chance.

Thanks for the heads up.

Eric

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I wouldn't make it a primary speaker for a whole yard, but for ambiance -- or for using the line-in for a scare that's close to the viewer -- I think it'll work. I'll try again tonight with the actual haunt noises and not music and see how that goes.

BTW $20 is the only good price point for this. Original $119 is outlandish (even though I know they mark it up to mark it down).

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I tried it out last night. It's pretty clear and good at 50ft. Not really LOUD however. I played a song and could hear the lyrics and chords clearly at 50ft. away. The unit is the size of a brick and battery powered. Also has a line-in if you don't want to use Bluetooth.

It all depends on what you want to use this for. I'm using it for random graveyard ambiance effects - ghostly sounds and wolf howls. The bass isn't very loud... so for effects like thunder or demonic grumblings, it might not be that great.
Yeah, that's pretty much how the ones I got from Walgreens on clearance were. I have heard some which were the same physical size that have unbelievable sound quality, even bass, but they're pricey.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It has decent sound. I don't do an overall soundtrack for my haunts and parties. I try to stick with localized sounds for specific scenes and effects. This is definitely worth the $20, for my purposes. It will also be nice for listening to music when I relax with an occasional cigar on the back deck. The bass is not great, but for it's size, the sound blend is decent.

Eric

Reactions: wackychimp
1 - 10 of 10 Posts