Halloween Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

· Registered
1,370 Posts
I am so glad that you did not throw in the towel awhile back. I might be mistaken, but I thought I remember you doubting the continuation of your haunt. You do such a great job, that it must really be similar to a second job. You are actually building a whole town.

I am starting to spend just 4hrs a week on mine, and it feels like a little bit of a grind. :D

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I am so glad that you did not throw in the towel awhile back. I might be mistaken, but I thought I remember you doubting the continuation of your haunt. You do such a great job, that it must really be similar to a second job. You are actually building a whole town.

I am starting to spend just 4hrs a week on mine, and it feels like a little bit of a grind. :D
Last year had some difficulties yeah, not so much in the mood, and some of those issues linger now in terms of reaction from 'party' guests family invited, but that is what it is. Thank you for the kind words!

Having the base layer of buildings (unless we build a new one, as did this year heh) does help a lot in terms of just getting to layer stuff and work up from a solid core, move stuff around, don't have to entirely construct from scratch on all the elements.

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Been thinking how best to utilize the Headless Horseman figure (star purchase of last year), and give him own vignette - it agreed roughly to make a few simple wooden headstones of this kind (likely smaller) with scrap wood for Ichabod and Katrina, naturally -

Tree Wood Grass Plant Headstone

Those and the Horseman will go around back of the big main 'mercantile' building/shed.

Property Wood Shed House Building

A right turn from here....

Wood stain Wood Hardwood Property Wall

And other right turn, figuring on having cut up black material hanging and a strobe to indicate something to see back this way....

Fence Home fencing Picket fence Wood Outdoor structure

Final staging area for the figure, headstones and several skulls/heads piled plus strobe to illuminate. A very rough sketch of the final proposed scene:

Line art White Drawing Cartoon Text

· Registered
1,707 Posts
Wow! This is really fantastic! It's a whole world in your backyard! And it lends itself so wonderfully to Halloween decorating & the spooky feel so many of us strive for! I hope that this year is a better one for you. I know you said your family doesn't like to open themselves to the negative possibilities that might come from opening your doors to the public, but don't forget that often of the best ways to get a jolt of renewed Halloween spirit is by someone new seeing your display & feeding off of their excitement. Maybe there are some people that you know that you could invite this year - friends of friends, extended family, your neighbors sister who has two little kids, your coworkers son & grandchildren - you get the idea. Not exactly "public", but fresh blood all the same! LOL!

Awesome display! Looking forward to seeing more this season!

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Wow! This is really fantastic! It's a whole world in your backyard! And it lends itself so wonderfully to Halloween decorating & the spooky feel so many of us strive for! I hope that this year is a better one for you. I know you said your family doesn't like to open themselves to the negative possibilities that might come from opening your doors to the public, but don't forget that often of the best ways to get a jolt of renewed Halloween spirit is by someone new seeing your display & feeding off of their excitement. Maybe there are some people that you know that you could invite this year - friends of friends, extended family, your neighbors sister who has two little kids, your coworkers son & grandchildren - you get the idea. Not exactly "public", but fresh blood all the same! LOL!

Awesome display! Looking forward to seeing more this season!
It is my goal at least to get some stuff moved this year to front yard, open the fence door, have some kind of a scene (full figures, tombstones, small props) and lighting, fog machine, etc on Halloween night if the party is on a different one, and yes, invite new people to the open house. Thank you for your encouragement and kind words!

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
looks great!!!!how do you guys get pic in threads I cant figure it out lol.I use to be able to but now I cant figure it out.
I post mainly from flicker, in which case the 'bbcode' sharing link is what you want - clicking the 'framed picture' icon to the right in the grey box of a new post will let you upload from your computer (it's next to the filmstrip, two over from the 'chat' icon)

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Finally, an update - have to kick things into higher gear. Made the big purchase of the season at last yesterday, and constructing her then figuring out the base was far too big to actually fit in the saloon promptly followed:

Handsaw applied, and that problem solved today.

We are quite pleased with her - disturbing motion and sound effects, nicely creepy. Video shall be in next post with some lighting testing as well.

A few general shots:

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.