Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being year 6 or so of setting up partial walk-through display in backyard of Bay Area home of my parents - Western theme elements there year round due to a backyard railroad, so built up from there/expanded upon for Halloween.

At this point, basically, not much done yet besides some minor things, lighting being set up and a few figures - new elements purchased this year have to be integrated, and in the range of 8 - 10 full body figures or electronic characters with 'gags'/animation have to be set up plus small props, beginning Saturday at some point, meaning the bulk of the display goes up in just six days, whatever can get done. For the circumstances behind that happening this year, when most we'd have spread it out over doing a few things each day beginning mid-September, see this thread: http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/136336-2014-pre-halloween-slump-doldrums.html

This Friday will be last day of radiation treatment for the family member mentioned and they are determined invite over guests for Friday and Saturday night with display up and going - my enthusiasm still admittedly little low and concerned about their wellness level, but seemingly we're locked into doing it and opening the doors, so onwards it will go barring any major setbacks currently unseen....

Here is the current state of things, in essence.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Now Porcupine Gulch is a winner! Nice vision and detailing on everything. I also love your signage and use of props. How many ToTers are you expecting?

I know your heart isn't in it right now but I am sure when you see the joy it brings the haunt hosts it will mean all the world to them and you. I hope the treatments are successful and you all have a happy halloween together. As I said I think you did a great job and sure they are proud of your talent.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now Porcupine Gulch is a winner! Nice vision and detailing on everything. I also love your signage and use of props. How many ToTers are you expecting?
Thank you very much, glad you enjoy what posted so far. As for ToT's, 20 is optimistic, all told - we rarely get even that, maybe 5-6 groups all night, but on Saturday will be 'party' type event with invited guests so more see it than the small amount of neighborhood kids.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got most of the full figures up and placed today (two left that go in areas won't be placed till the day of yard being open), put batteries in strobe lights, fixed some lights that got blown out of position during recent wind/rain bouts. So here are some photos!

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
I thought Porcupine Gulch looked great in the daylight but man you've done an even better job with the lighting at night. Nice use of colors, lighting and shadows. So much detail in the props and placement of things. Really feels like a western town. Parts of it remind me of Columbia (as in Columbia State Park in Gold Country, it's set up as an old 1800 western gold panning town). It looks to me like you are ready for Gulch visitors now! Nice job.

Question for you. I noticed your hanging lady in red in the photos. I have that same Spirit Halloween zombie or swamp gal you do. She has a stake through her head and I'm wondering if you kept it or removed it somehow. I haven't used mine in a setting yet and am wondering what others have done. Been debating on sawing off the stake portion above her head but not sure if that's the best thing to do.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought Porcupine Gulch looked great in the daylight but man you've done an even better job with the lighting at night. Nice use of colors, lighting and shadows. So much detail in the props and placement of things. Really feels like a western town. Parts of it remind me of Columbia (as in Columbia State Park in Gold Country, it's set up as an old 1800 western gold panning town). It looks to me like you are ready for Gulch visitors now! Nice job.

Question for you. I noticed your hanging lady in red in the photos. I have that same Spirit Halloween zombie or swamp gal you do. She has a stake through her head and I'm wondering if you kept it or removed it somehow. I haven't used mine in a setting yet and am wondering what others have done. Been debating on sawing off the stake portion above her head but not sure if that's the best thing to do.
Thank you very much for your kind words! Yes, we have been to Columbia many times, but equal part inspiration is of course the classic Ghost Town at Knott's Berry Farm (who deliver a superlative Halloween attraction themselves each season).

As for the 'voodoo lady' (as I call her), we kept the stake - as she is used mostly as a hanging prop, convenient for storage too, and not sure how structurally important it is going down into the head/body.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had the full open house for invited guests Saturday night - weather was good, clear after raining hard on Friday and into Saturday morning. Maybe 35-40 people attended. Sadly the ToT crowds are miniscule in this area and due to it taking place in backyard, no matter how 'professional' entrance might look, not a good thing likely to try and convince adults we don't know to take kids around the back of the house plus the private property/liability issues if someone decides to take advantage.

Some photos from the big day -

·
Registered
387 Posts
OUTSTANDING HAUNT!!!!! Especially with a sick family member--how are they doing?? Your haunt is one of the few I've seen that look as good during the day and is does at night. Hats off to you Regions Beyond . . . this looks better than some commercial haunts I've been too. I'm eager to find out what new things you have on the list for next year. Did you shot any video of people going through? I'd LOVE to see footage of your haunt in action!!! :D

GiggleingGhost

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OUTSTANDING HAUNT!!!!! Especially with a sick family member--how are they doing?? Your haunt is one of the few I've seen that look as good during the day and is does at night. Hats off to you Regions Beyond . . . this looks better than some commercial haunts I've been too. I'm eager to find out what new things you have on the list for next year. Did you shot any video of people going through? I'd LOVE to see footage of your haunt in action!!! :D

GiggleingGhost
Thank you very much, truly appreciate these comments. Have a few clips (three at most) but sadly no, no extensive video coverage as also talking to people and making sure all electronic bits keep running throughout. My step-brother and his kids did film a bunch with a gopro camera so will see if they ever put anything together that share with the footage.

Remarkable haunt! Everything looks fantastic; props, lighting, staging, details!
Thank you very much and glad you enjoyed!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts