Halloween Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.halloweenforum.com/members/ghost-of-spookie-albums-halloween-store-items-2011-picture66792-dollar-tree-2011-pool-noodles-back-stock-volume-year-they-have-pale-golden-color-one-ribbed-solid-i-thought-closer-bone-color.jpg

I love using these flower shaped pool noodles from the Dollar Tree for trim on props but every year I have to touch up the paint that has chipped off.
I know a big part of the issue is that it's flexible and the paint is not but I'm not sure what else I can use to make the paint cling better. Priming doesn't seem to help much. Any ideas from the smart folks on here? Do I just need to switch to a harder material like plastic tubing?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used them on my mausoleum peaks here. I try very hard to not bang them when moving them around but the slightest touch makes the paint peel off and of course the touch up every year never matches the original. It's just a pain in the rear but I love them because they are so cheap, light, easy to cut, and flexible!

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep hearing this in my head: MUST BUILD ONE OF THESE FOR NEXT YEAR. I guess I cant use out of time for an excuss now. Looks Great!
Thanks! The mausoleum was THE best build ever. I tweak it a bit every year but it's certainly the most impressive to ToTs and neighbors. With the peaks on, it stands over 10 feet tall. Hard to ignore that coming down the block!

·
Registered
14,684 Posts
OMG MissPhantom, there's a pool noodle hidden in there?! I guess you mean the rounded edges. That is stunning.

When we had our dining pergola constructed it had stucco based columns that were topped with "foam trim pieces". Thinking either stucco could be applied to the pool noodle or maybe the foam trim used for stucco work would be the material to use instead. Once covered the foam is pretty durable. Much of the trim on new stucco houses out here are done with foam trim. It can be damaged but in general holds up well to weather and general conditions.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I haven't had much luck with painting pool noodles. I have used them on tombstones and yes the paint flaked off. This year I removed it from the tombstones. Even with them painted they seemed to deteriorate

·
Registered
14,684 Posts
Of course if you think about it pool noodles are meant to repell and not hold water or there would be lots of non-swimmers at the bottom of the pool holding onto water logged noodles. Maybe it's just one of those unsolveable things.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Paint them first with Glidden Gripper. I was having the same problem, but it's fixed now.
Ya know, I've tried that but can't recall it helping that much. I will certainly try again. There is also a bit of a clear coat on the noodle so I'll try a fine sand paper on it too. Thanks, slcjeeper :)

Of course if you think about it pool noodles are meant to repell and not hold water or there would be lots of non-swimmers at the bottom of the pool holding onto water logged noodles. Maybe it's just one of those unsolveable things.

I'm thinking that might be the case in the end. But I'll just suck it up and keep touching up because it's those noodles are just too convenient and cheap not to use. :D

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I wonder if you covered the noodle part in masking tape and then painted over that, if it would work. I say this because I have a shovel handle for a prop that is a rod covered in foam pipe insulation. Then wide masking tape used lengthwise and then liquid latex and then spray painted. It is squishy but does not flake off. Have used outdoors in all sorts of weather 2 seasons now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts