Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only say "pond" because it was basically a 3 feet deep hole originally so not really worth of being called a pond but that's what we call it.

We did this about 10 years ago & over the years it's settled about 6 inches or more, water was leaking out of the top of the "stream" because it settled a little further on one side than the other, & the fish made more fish so the "pond" was way too small so it was time.

We wanted to do this in cooler weather but it rained 25 days in May, we went on vacation, other stuff came up so we, & by we I mean my husband mostly :D, started a couple of weeks ago dismantling the thing & he started digging last week & finished on Sunday.

So here's what we've got so far & this is the reason I can't get myself into Halloween mode. This has got to be done before then & once it is I can think about Halloween.

The final hole (more or less):

The underlayment to keep the rubber from being punctured. There's some sand on the bottom under this but I wasn't home to take a a pic when it was done.

We had to call in reinforcements to get the rubber liner in (that's my uncle that lives up the street)

It's in but not sealed or completely in place. We need to get the sealant to seal the creases to keep the grunge outta the folds.

I don't really get involved in any actual work until we get around to buying a few more large rocks, placing the rocks, buying some new plants, replanting some of the old ones & cleaning up. I'm the creative end of it, he's the muscle.

I will be glad when it's over because there's bits of dirt everywhere. I sweep & still can't get it or we drag more in & it's not even really dirt, it's clay, almost terra cotta clay.

So we're hopefully one or two more weekends away from finishing. We should have the fish back in the larger end by this weekend.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a few "before" pics, this was last Halloween:

This was 2010

Here it is very early when we were in the process of finishing it (off season of course). It's before all the plants & other landscaping we added.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AAAUUUGHHH!! Effing Photobucket!!!

Could a mod just lock or delete this sucker please?

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are at a standstill with this damn project. My husband got some rocks that will require a frickin' forklift to move into place. I didn't go with him when he bought them so my moderating voice of reason wasn't there to say "uh, dude, those are too big" so he got 2 pallets of some BOULDERS.

He's getting there but if he hasn't finished this by October 1st I'm paying someone to finish it because it's gotta be ready by Halloween because it's right in the front of our house, by the walkway to the front door, & this year The Creature will be using it for his home & if it's not finished....I don't know what I'll do after I cry & scream a whole lot.

We only have goldfish but now that the pond is larger we might get koi. But I really can't even think of that until it's done. I can't even think of plants for it until it's done.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We don't have much of a backyard. If you face our lot it's rectangular & the house is on the left end of that rectangle, then there's our side yard which is where our septic is so there's only so many places we'd put it.

I like it where it is because I don't have to traipse across the yard in bad weather to feed the fish, I can just go out on the front stoop & toss food in. And my husband doesn't have to do the same to chop holes in the pond so the fish can breathe when it freezes up. We've used de-icers but sometimes we get super cold spells & the top 6 inches will freeze. Plus there's no electricity in the middle of the yard to run the pumps so that wasn't an option anyway.

And this time of year when you can have the windows & doors open we can hear it babbling along. In the spring we get the frogs & tree frogs too. The birds like it too.

Some early stages of digging the hole
20170703_141134 (1).jpg

IMG_3527.jpg

This is what the fish are in now.
IMG_3519.jpg

Here are my husband (in orange) & my uncle putting the rubber liner in.
IMG_3536.jpg

Here is where we've been for the last 3 weeks (more or less). This was after a big rain. We've drained it since then a couple times. That's a little boogie board that I use as gardening kneeler. I have no clue why it's in the pond. Maybe when it was hot the rubber was nuclear hot so he may have been using to stay off the black surface.
IMG_3562.jpg

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As you can see this is our front walkway. The same front walkway that the ToTers use. The same pond I plan on putting The Creature in this year if I have to hire the Amish barn builders that are putting up a neighbors garage to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts