Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1/4 acre pond in my front pasture I would love to put a large prop in. Has anyone done something similar? I can't really use the pasture because curious cows destroy anything I put out there, but I think the pond has potential. I also have a windmill pumping into the pond so that has some potential as well. Thanks for any suggestions or pictures.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
DEFINITELY fog. Lots and lots of fog. After that ANYTHING works.
Except clowns...

·
Registered
93 Posts
No one said the most obvious (though silly for a pond)... A shark fin! Or maybe an over turned boat with a shark tooth cutout to look like it was bitten.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the ideas. What I don't have is lighting at the pond so it would mostly be for daytime. Solar lights are an option too I guess. I have an old beat up aluminum boat that wouldn't take much to turn into a wooden looking boat. I think the skeleton idea is perfect for a first year, then maybe add the tentacles later. I would need to figure that one out as the pond is 12 ft deep and that might be a little tough for me to anchor them in. I'm already thinking chicken wire with foam around, then spray foam to texture. At least if they fell over, they would float.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If you built a floating dock anchored down somewhere in the pond, then the sky is the limit as to what you could put out there.

Some ideas are: You could build a pirate ship that is being pulled down by a giant squid/octopus. You could attach the tentacles to the sides of the dock. Then you could have a few pirates escaping in row boats.
You could build what looks like an island with pygmies roasting or cooking people from a shipwreck.

Options for lighting would be solar powered or battery powered LED lights.
Here is a video that has a great idea on how to hook up LED Christmas lights to a 12V car battery. The lights in the video are for decorating vehicles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex5pbuFKun8

You could also get a power inverter used for cars/RVs to plug lights or powered items into. You connect the inverter to a 12 volt car battery. You just have to make sure you keep the battery charged if you run the lights or powered items for more than a few hours.
Here is a 200 watt power inverter, you can get them with more wattage.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-B...PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-202549757-_-203645786-_-N

·
Registered
720 Posts
Okay. I'm jumping on the shark train.

And maybe, we build a shark train! At least, a shark chain? Hear me out....

We build this all with plastic, with loose tolerances, so it won't rust and algae or small critters won't jam it up. We build a rig to submerge, and attach the shark fin. The goal of the rig, is to lift the fin up, move it a certain distance, then drop the fin back down and return it to the starting point under the water. I'm thinking of a kind of belt conveyor, as the actuator. As the connection to the belt starts, the fin is flat. We make a kind of rail, maybe using 4" PVC pipe and a tapered slot down its length. The slot rotates a bit, and the fin lifts. It travels, then the slot rotates back down. The belt reaches the end of the conveyor and wraps around to do its return to the starting point with the fin still under water.

I really have to work up some legit kinematics studies to figure out how to do this on a Home Depot budget, but this could happen....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts