Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the cheap led pond mist makers?
Or
Has anyone tried to hook up a fog machine to pump out from under water?

I have one of those hard plastic kiddy pools and we are putting in a haunted forest scene this year. Thinking about trying to have one of the fog machines run thru a hose and come up from under the water, but not really sure how i would get that to work or if it would work at all.
I came across the little mist makers, they are cheap, just not sure how many i would need for the pool i will be using.

Any thoughts on either of these?
Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
I haven't had too much experience with the ultrasonic mist/fog makers, but I do think that if you want a decent amount of mist with those, you're going to need several.

As for piping fog from a standard fog machine under water, you're going to need to introduce some air flow into the output of your fogger as a standard fogger will not have the pressure to push the fog under the water. And even if you did, I'm not sure what your results would be.

-=CoasterBP

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with above about mister, I have one and it doesn't produce a decent amount of mist, but that might just be by model.

I will love to read how the fog from under water goes

·
Registered
668 Posts
Running the fog under water through a pipe isn't going to work unless you house the machine and pipe (except for the length under water) in a sealed/pressurized enclosure. The mister, can work, but you would need something more than the typical cheap led light up ones. You also have to contend with wind, on either version, or the fog will just blow away. You could always try pumping you fog through a chiller, and have it come out on top of the water. Make the water ice cold, and the fog will linger around longer. I use ice and water in my graveyard to help keep the fog around. Any spot I want the fog to linger, I dump a pile of ice and spread it out. The cold ice help to keep the fog dense.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you want continuous fog, why not put big blocks of dry ice in the water. You may want to put them in 1 at a time so you'll have fog all night. Test how long they'll last before you need to do the effect. That way you'll know how much dry ice to get.

Do you plan on controlling fog by turning it on/off? Not sure how to do that. Perhaps you can mount the fog exhaust tube so it sits on top of the water, but too low to be seen from a distance. I grab shop vac hoses on trash night whenever I see them for the exhaust hoses.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the ideas. trying to get it to come out from the water is probably more trouble than its worth.
I do have a fog chiller and thought about using that to have it come out on top of the water also, but it usually is in the low 40's here and i havent got it to work real well.
Dry ice is probably my best bet.
thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
After posting I started wondering if there really was that much of a difference on the new one that I purchased so I did some tests.

I watched both of these while recording and then again while editing and thought to myself it's really not that big a difference.... but once I saw them side by side i changed my mind.

Either way this may help you decide if it's worth it for you

I set the water level in both tests to just over the top of the sensor as I find that appears to make the most mist.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes the 3 head is surprising! Something I may have to look more into.
Thanks for the video.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great video. That's impressive how much fog/mist that 3-head unit is producing. That really opens it up to being used in a lot of different props.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I realize this is an older thread but that video is awesome. I've been contemplating one of the House of Hydro misters for my witch's cauldron (and for another prop as well) and was curious how much they really put out. Not sure if the 1 head is a basic model from anywhere or also a HoH but there was a substantial difference in the two. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Terrific video. Your display looks great! Just to clarify, the mister in the cauldron in this video is the 1 head? I'm curious if using ice like we do for our fog chillers would make any difference in keeping the fog low? Thanks for sharing the video!

·
Registered
120 Posts
The one in that video is the three head HoH with a float.

I understand that if the water is too cold it will make less fog but I have never tried ice.

The normal propylene glycol style foggers use a lot of heat to make the fog, so I definitely use a chiller to keep the fog down. Epically since it’s cold here at the end of October.

The ultrasonic foggers like this one don’t heat the water in the process so the fog temperature is the same as the water it came from. I find that this water vapor is naturally heavy so it tends to sink and stay in the cauldron or any other contained space, but it doesn’t last like the glycol foggers at all. Once it spills out of the container it dissipates quickly and tends to make what it lands on wet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Scott. You have answered so many questions, this is great! I meant that I wondered if you piped the fog from the mister across ice like we do in our chillers if it would keep it low. Sorry I wasn't clear. Its a different animal though so that might not work the same as say Froggy's or another fog juice since the mister creates water vapor. Sounds like it may be safer to stay with a traditional fogger if electronics are being used since stuff is going to end up wet. This still has some serious potential though and is super cool.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,548 Posts
Just thought I'd share our setup from a couple years back. There is a single head mister in the cauldron. You can see that it only puts a small layer of fog or mist above the water, but the mist does spill over the sides and gets the floor all wet as Scott mentioned. You can even see the mist falling to the floor in the red lighting. I later added a second mister to improve the effect, but needed a towel under the cauldron due to the amount of water that settles beneath.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have seen people pipe ultrasonic fog for a screen kind of like
https://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/135052-fogscreen-project.html

but I feel like you would loose a lot even over a short distance and all that loss becomes water in your pipes.
Personally for localized fog where i have standing water these are great, but when I need to cover any distance I pipe in traditional fog and use Froggys "FREEZIN FOG - OUTDOOR / GRAVEYARD LOW LYING" juice
post a link to your project here so I can see what you end up with

1 - 20 of 24 Posts