Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-
I'm new to the site and need help. I posted in the new member forum but thought I would ask for help here, too. I am a police officer and we are doing a haunted house to make money for our Christmas "Cops for Kids" program.
Its in an old middle school and we have volunteered for decorating a room.
My room ( 2nd shift room) is going to be an asylum. Its a rather large room so we have a decent amount of space to work with.
You guys seem pretty experienced from reading your forums - Any awesome ideas you would care to share with me. We are pretty fired up about it and want it to scare the devil out of people! And also, be the best room, you know, and feed our already oversized egos
I appreciate any tips
Thanks !

·
Registered
725 Posts
I got a super scary one. Imagine this: I walk into a well lit room, and there you guys are, all standing around in your uniforms. :D

Ok for real now. I havn't done an asylum, so I don't know to many specific details for you. Except straight jackets, people in white coats, operating table (with straps), and bloody hand prints.

But one thing I can not stress enough is lighting. Make sure you have it. If you stick to just the standard florescent lights in the room, your affect will be lost. Use lights to bring out focal points of your room. Pick up red, green, blue spot lights, whatever you think will work. If you have access to all, its highly recommended to try different colors.

You can even use string lights of the same colors. In that case though you want to do your best to hide them. They make a great glow affect, but if visible they can ruin the mood. Makes you think more about happy fun, lets decorate for christmas.

Ambient sound is also a really great adition. I can't think of any specific CD or sound clip but just a loop of someone crying out could do wonders. Just don't crank it up to loud. You want its presence to be known, but not so loud that it washing out any other sounds you use to enhance your haunt.

Finally, I don't know if this entirely fits your room. But a 5 minute prop that does wonder is just a small TV tuned to static. Its amazing how creepy static can be.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Asylum-
(esp. formerly) an institution for the maintenance and care of the mentally ill, orphans, or other persons requiring specialized assistance.

An institution for the care of people, especially those with physical or mental impairments, who require organized supervision or assistance.

I picture people on cots, or mattresses on the floor, nurses & doctors caring for them. Some people left in wheel chairs doing a puzzle or watching tv. All seems normal & calm in the room that is except one patient. For he or she didn't take their meds, pretends to be sedated. As the person gets up & chases patrons from the room.

For atmospheric music or sound effects suggestions:
Blackthorn Asylum by Nox Arcana
sample- Blackthorn Asylum by Nox Arcana

Sounds of Gore vol 6: Sanitarium
sample- http://gore-galore.com/audio_samples/sanitariumdemo.mp3

·
Satan's Best Friend
663 Posts
For some reason the movie "One Flew Over The Cuckoos' Nest" comes to mind.
The layout of the ward... with Nurse Ratchet, very sterile and creepy in its' own way.

Also, how about a patient receiving a little electro-shock therapy.
Perhaps a simulated lobotomy in progress would work.
How about guards that are Zombies.

Good luck,

Cab

·
Registered
363 Posts
Why does a slowly swinging incandescent light from the ceiling casting long shadows to and fro as it swings come to mind? One moment it swings, lights up an empty corner, next moment it swings back and someone is standing there.

Also, It would be creepy to have the zombie nurses from the Silent Hill movie standing still in a hallway for victims to walk between. It would be quite unnerving having to be that uncomfortably close to the dead faceless nurses twitching and spasming around you.

Just my two cents! GL!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here is just what you need to create the Atmosphere for your room.
Here is a sample from the Insane Asylum CD111 from Poison Props http://poisonprops.com/media/mp3/CD111.mp3
Depending on how your haunt is set up, you could play this on speakers outside the room so the people going in are already getting in the mood, or if that isn't possible you can have it playing in the room for atmosphere.
I own almost all of Adam's CD's and can say they are 100% movie quality because he is a two time Emmy Award Winning sound designer for TV and movies. Here is the link to the CD Poison Halloween Animatronic Props
He has several other great atmosphere and sound effect CD available on this site that you might want to check out.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
How about the girl in the filthy asylum gown on the floor barefoot writing horrific things on the wall in red. The old lady in the wheelchair who screams demonic things at people. The doc with the sirygne who wants to poke you with the latest meds. Bars on the windows, straight jackets, a couple of heavy goons to take care of the patients but, are beating them instead. Just a couple ideas.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The first image that I get when I think of a mental hospital is a building where all the surroundings are white in color.... walls, floors, etc. So I would make all the walls white and then splatter a great deal of blood on all the walls and floots and maybe write things in blood like "help me" or "get out".... stuff like that. I would use black lights and strobe lights to give effect.

I would have torture devices such as electro shock tables, cages, chairs where patients are strapped down to control them. Maybe have a "doctor" who is experimenting on patients and have the results of his handy work spread out all over the place. Heads, hands, feet, brains.... standard stuff you can buy at any prop shop open this time a year.

And of course have actors play all the parts of the patients and staff.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would have someone dressed as the Jackal from 13 Ghosts. It's basically a crazy person with a cage around his/her head. Google it and you'll see how creepy this is. I know I would be running!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bubbels smart alec- LMAO -thanks to all you guys for the great ideas and the express manner that you responded to my plea. I showed my Sgt your ideas and we're really pumped now. I especially like the suggestions for the Silent Hill nurses (kicka** movie that I had forgotten about) and the filthy asylum girl. Thanks all
Certainly, if you ever need any legal tips...well, might want to call an attorney.....
haha kidding
great website here
Loki

·
Registered
59 Posts
Asylum with a twist

You could take the asylum angle down a darker path and make it an Institute for the Criminally Insane (cue thunder clap...mwahahaahaa!). I immediately thought of The House on Haunted Hill movie when I read this topic. It seems to me that you could either have the patients take over the asylum, or have the maniacal doctor still in charge, free to continue his unspeakable experiments (cue door slam and scream of terror!!). :eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anytime I hear the words "scarry" and "asylum" I always think of one scene from an old flick called "Jacob's Ladder". Granted, it's more of a hospital theme than mental ward but the general idea and flavor is the same. You could easily incorporate some of the other ideas mentioned since they all pretty much blend but I would highly recommend watching the movie for inspiration if you haven't yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts