Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Longtime member but infrequent poster here. There are a lot of little children in my neighborhood. For that reason this year I have decided to go whimsical and not scary. Given that this past summer there has been a pretty big craze with the Pokemon GO mobile game, I have decided to fill my front yard with Pokemon and pokeballs, maybe a poke-gym if I have the time.

I have gone the papier mache way. I decided to start with the easiest part, the pokeballs. So far, there are 2 large 33 inch (~84cm) diameter balls and 24 10 inch (25cm) diameter balls.

I used the smaller (large) ball. The larger ball is so large I cannot fit it through the door. Whew! Glad I did not use that. It took me 3 hours to do one layer of strip mache on those large balls. I got a little faster later on (2 hours).

The small balls were done with this beach ball. The dog is a toy poodle for size reference.

Large ball:

Small balls:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The next step involves building/sculpting the pokemons. It seems that I am making: Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charmander, Snorlax, Vaporeon, Eevee, Umbreon, Lickitung, Ninetails, Vulpix and Gastly. So far I have almost finished sculpting Pikacku.

The steps for all were similar. I projected an image on the wall and then traced it on cardboard. Which then I cut out. Here is cardboard Pikachu:

Then I gave the Pokemon its rough shape with a mixture of bubble wrap, newspaper and masking tape. (Pardon the blurry pictures).

Then I put several layers of strip mache on the Pikachu. After all was dry, I glued all the individual parts on. Here is a picture with the parts glued on. There is an incomplete Eevee photobombing the picture.

The eyes were cast in resin. Pardon the bubbles, first time casting, newbie error.

[/URL

Then a layer of paper mache clay. I still have to put the clay on the bottom of the Pikachu, but I need to wait for it to dry. I estimate a 2-3 day wait.

[URL=http://s242.photobucket.com/user/plistumi/media/Pokemon%20Go/2016-09-28%2021.33.06.jpg.html]

]

Th, th, th, that is is for now! Off to work on Bulbasaur!

PS: Yes, That is my living room. My marriage may be in danger, ha ha.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, here are the steps for bulbasaur. Again, similar to Pikachu. First I projected the image and traced it onto cardboard which I used as armature.

Then the armature was formed with a mixture of bubblewrap, paper and tape. This time, kept all parts separate.

After I put several layers of newspaper I glued all the parts together and added the eye. Its kind of spooky and wonky at this stage.

Then the paper clay went on.

Now I am waiting a few days for it to dry. Next, Charmander.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Charmander is one cute Pokemon. Same thing, cardboard.

Stuffing with paper and tape.

The preliminary shape looks like a mummy after I am done with the paper and tape.

The strip mache and a photobombing dog.

I forgot to take a picture of it after I glued the eyes one. It looked really ridiculous. Anyway, the mache clay comes on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very nice! What images did you use to project for your patterns?

I got a request to make Gengar (never heard of him before, haha!) and rather late in the process, received another request that he light up so I'm rather stuck while I try to figure that out.

If you ever have to do a lot of spikes, here is what I did for that: Get some birthday party hats from the Dollar store (go through the packages to try to find the least squished ones), cut the points to the lengths that you need. Tape or glue the seam closed. Cram them full of wadded up paper (or whatever) to make sure they hold the form then glue them on.
(I didn't get the idea to do that until after I already had the 2 big spikes done)
Gengar.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for your compliments.

Sister, your Gengar looks great! I am using actual screenshots from the Pokemon Go game. They have been very helpful because your can rotate the Pokemon and look at them from all angle. Good idea on the spikes. Yesterday I put the first layer of paper clay on the Vaporeon. I wish I knew your technique them. I folded paper into cones for the scales on the back. Pictures to come up soon (still working on it).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you, Plistumi!

I am probably the last person on earth without a smartphone but thank you for telling me your method! I could probably get someone who does have one to send me some pics should another character come into the works. :)

Am looking forward to seeing your photos!

·
Registered
11 Posts
SilentRaven, well done with your Ghastly! It looks great :D

Here's my Gengar :

Extra spike hides the light.jpg

Gengar with Jacks.jpg

Gengar at night.jpg

This is what I used for the eyes and mouth:

0a9da4b641807e0db348b9f918e930ef14.jpg
https://www.officesupply.com/office-supplies/envelopes-forms/envelopes/poly-envelopes/globe-weis-poly-snap-envelope/p505872.html?q=

It is red on the outside and has a white piece on the inside that makes the envelope have 2 pockets. I had to use construction glue to attach it to the inside of the face. There was not enough space to get the caulk gun in there so I put a dab of glue on a scrap of paper and used a popsicle stick to apply it with. Paint doesn't stick well to this stuff (it will scrape right off) and Sharpie markers will wipe off so I had to use black duct tape to make the teeth lines.
I'm not particularly happy with how his eyes look more pink than red when his light is on but I couldn't come up with an alternative idea.

I used one of these for his light:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AGJWVUM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
185 Posts
these are so great, can't wait to see all of it set up. Did you contact Niantic and request your house to be a Pokestop or a Gym?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts