Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a few pneumatic props using 12v solenoids and I am now trying to add sound to them. I control the props via a 12 channel remote control relay board. The relay board switches 12v to a Cowlacious Chipcorder and the solenoid. I have the chicorders set up in dual message mode with a 12v trigger. The problem is, when trigged the solenoid is firing but the sound is delayed by 1-2 seconds. Meaning, the prop has already completely the pneumatic sequence before the sound starts. I need to delay the firing of the solenoid until the sound starts. Has anyone run into this type of problem before and if so did you build a simple delay circuit to get around it? Any ideas what the circuit would look like (555 timer?)?

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would prefer to automate the sound and action. I have some stamp controllers which would obviously resolve my issue, but I would prefer not to use them for something as simple as this.

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
30 Posts
I guess I'm not understanding.

You have a 12 channel controller. Why not use channel 1 for the pneumatic and channel 2 for the audio?

The Cowlacious (and most other ISD chipcorder based designs) have a delay before start as you have discovered. It would seem silly to me to use yet another controller to delay the prop so you can run 2 devices off of a single channel. That's pretty much the point of having a multi-channel controller. I buy 16 channel controllers because I need multiple channels, rather than daisy chaining single channel timers / controllers off of each other. Far more cost effective that way too.

If you must, do a search for "555 timer circuit" on Google. You'll find out more than you ever want to know. Carl's Electronics also has some very inexpensive basic timer kits, but I don't know if they'll do what you want, or rather down to the resolution you need. They're generally a few seconds up to 30+ minutes, where you need something with a much higher resolution to get it timed right.

·
Registered
955 Posts
It sounds like using a seperate channel is the best choice. I have no experience in this area, but it sounds like each channel has it's own timing circuit. I am a mechanical type guy. I work on complicated electro mechanical equipment. You could use what is referred to as an Air Dashpot to slow down the stroke of the solenoid. The really high tolerance units have very precise damping adjustments.

Here is a link.

Airpot > Dashpot Performance Specifications

Now one of these or something created will only work if your solenoid is given a constant current during the prop sequence.

You could adapt various less expensive items to work. A bike pump, door closer. Anything with a cylinder and piston. We have a great store here in San Diego. Industrial Liquidators. It's like Gadget Paradise. I can even see using a plastic syringe. The key is to restrict the piston in one direction by placing a valve which is adjustable on the output side of the piston. A one way valve will allow the piston to return home quickly when the solenoid releases.

Spinman

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The controller board I am using is a 12 channel RF remote control relay baord. It have a remote control with 12 buttons, when I hit one of the buttons it flips one of the relays. The 12vdc signal will then travel to the solenoid, and sound board v-trigger. I have multiple props setup this way. The idea is to hit one button for the prop to activate. Once activated the sound should be somewhat synced to the movement of the pnuematic. If I use two channels, then that would mean I would have to hit one button to start the sound, wait 1-2 seconds then hit the second button to activate the solenoid. I should be able to build a quick and dirty circuit to place in between the sound board and the solnoid. The circuit could be a resitor and a small cap or better yet a resitor, cap and mosfet. (the resitor could be a pot for setting the variable time). I am familar with 555 timers but those are typically used in much longer delays then what I need here. I was hoping someone has run into this issue before and already had a schemtic. If not then I will need to spend some time with a bread board to get it right :)

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
955 Posts
Wrong solenoid

Sorry re the mechanical solution. When I think of solenoids, I see actuators. The linear or rotary kind. You are talking about a solenoid valve.

Good luck with the delay circuit.

Spinman

·
Registered
648 Posts
I know this sounds like a dumb resolution.
But I simply turned the pressure down a little on my prop to get it to activate slightly slower. But then again, mine prop only rises and falls.
Worked for me anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts