Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a nice 12gal compressor off Craigslist so I'm good to go in that department but need hoses, fittings, solenoid valves, a cylinder with 4" travel. Maybe a controller or I might use arduino with a relay.

I've read a lot on the FrightProps website - are they generally recommended here? Are there other respected dealers? Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks for your advice...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I also use automation direct for the cylinders, hoses, push fittings, solenoid valves, basically everything on the prop side of the pressure regulator. But I use Harbor Freight for the compressor side hose, splitter, fittings & regulator.

The trigger mechanisms I use for the solenoids include simple actor activated switches, a step mat trigger & a PIR input to a home grown arduino & relay board. This year I will also be using a couple of the try-me-trol on two non-pneumatic props.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use either eBay or toolots.com. They're about 10 minutes from my house and are competitively priced. There's a certain value in being able to look at what you're buying before you actually buy it. Look for "pneumatic supplies" on yelp. You're likely to find someone local who can give you advice and show you what works with what.

That being said - pneumatics are actually not that difficult once you start working with them.

One reccomendation - you can get the pneumatic controllers in either 12v or 120. For me 12v is easier and safer. If you already have 12v for lighting, etc. that's the way to go. Just my .02...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Im from the UK but same will probably still apply. I started looking into Pneumatics last night to see if i could include them in my display this year. I found every part i would need on ebay at very reasonable prices compared to some UK dealers. Its worth a look :) Cant wait to see your work!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are great suggestions.

Do people use FirghtProps stuff? Seems similarly priced but I wasn't sure of the quality. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
These are great suggestions.

Do people use FirghtProps stuff? Seems similarly priced but I wasn't sure of the quality. Thanks!
FrightProps stuff is good quality but you can usually get brand name cylinders on ebay for a lot less $$$.

·
Registered
475 Posts
EBay for bargains and Fright Props when I have to have it now works for me. They also make it easy to pick up matching rod end and mounts during purchase. Try their blood too and motor linkage.

Speaking of Fright Props - I treated myself to a Shock Block Angus to see what the mechanism looked like (store bought prop - don't judge me). I built the Bumpkin and Chuckles knock offs myself. Their props seem expensive but when you think of the labor that goes into them I was wondering how they make a profit.

Bumpkin and Chuckles bootlegs here: http://www.snydercentral.com/halloween/H2018/H2018.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts