1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
That compressor looks great online but in person you will probably be shocked at how small it is.

There are many variables. If you only want the lid to only open once or twice you don't even need a compressor; just use a tank.

So the real question is (besides the details on the ram you will be using) how often will you be activating the prop?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
The bore size of the cylinder and the load it needs to overcome are the 2 factors when figuring PSI. As a base rule, a 1" bore will produce a 1 to 1 ratio, meaning that if the PSI is 25, it will yield 25 lbs. of pressure on the load. The PSI to load ratio increases with a larger bore size, it decreases with a smaller bore size. That being said, the compressor you posted has plenty of PSI, but that's only half of the equation. The volume of air needed to operate the cylinder is the 2nd part. That's where the 3 gallon compressor may or may not be sufficient depending on how often the cylinder is activated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alternatively, considering now using a wiper motor, however, I am also looking at a 190 Rpm 12Vdc Right Angle Drive Electric Motor. If anyone could tell me wether or not this could work as an alternative to a wiper motor I would be extremely greatful!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Off hand I would say that drill motor most likely won't have the torque needed for your coffin lid.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If there's not a lot of air draw and the time between cycles is fairly long, that little compressor might work fine and you can always add an external tank. Harbor Freight Expansion Tanks

Also, are you going to open the lid from fully-shut to full-open? Or, will it be more like the MIB with a jumping/banging lid of just an inch or so? If it's the latter, there are some good examples here of folks using motors with grapefruit-sized cogs that have random cuts in them to simulate random get-me-outta-here banging of the coffin lid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts