1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Before you commit to purchasing this package from ebay, I would get yourself a FrightProps catalog and skim through that. There are a lot of options to setting up your Jack in the Box. The ebay package only comes with a 4" stroke which means it will not go very high depending on placement in your crate/box; which also needs to be taken into consideration, the weight of your lid.

Good Luck

Jack B.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I shall do that. I have seen the pneumatic kits from fright props and they seem a bit more costly but maybe not if you price out things individually. Since I'm not sure what I'm doing that may be a way to go for me so I can learn.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
You can get the cylinder and the valve a lot cheaper on ebay vs. this kit. And to agree with jdbeckwith, a 4" stroke cylinder is probably not gonna work for a jack-in-box. To calculate exactly what you'll need for a cylinder, you really need to know how much force is necessary to operate the prop and how far the cylinder needs to travel. General rule of thumb is a 1" bore cylinder will yield a 1 to 1 ratio of PSI to force. For example, 40psi in a 1" bore cylinder will produce 40 pounds of force on the rod. Smaller bores will decrease that ratio and larger bores will increase the ratio. I like to limit the PSI in my props to 60 or less, I feel going higher than that starts to get a little dangerous, but that's just me. Most of my props operate between 30 and 40psi. Another thing you might want to consider is sticking with 12VDC valves instead of 120v. For most props, low voltage valves are much safer to work with.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks for the advice. I will do a bit more reading on pneumatics and try to order the items separately and see if I can get this figured out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I notice that you are from Canada, as am I. A good source for pneumatic supplies is Princess Auto. I have made 4 pneumatic props so far, all with supplies from there (and not having to pay in USD). Do go to fright props website. They have good tutorials that go a long way to understand the basics of pneumatics. As well, take a look at Fright Ideas. They are a Canadian company that makes prop controllers. I use them to run my pneumatic props and create the scenes.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will echo what jdbeckwith said, get a Frightprops catalog. Get one of their complete pneumatic kits, something basic. This will give you the experience that you need. Once you get comfortable with system, the terminology and operating principles then you can branch out and try more complex systems. Good Luck.
"Half the fun of Halloween is building the props. The other half is hearing people scream."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts