Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i need your help once again.

Could anyone give me information on the words "Bore" and "stroke" as i am rather confuzzled :confused:. I often see them when people are discussing pneumatic cylinders. Also do you have any other "key words" that i should be familiar with before purchasing pneumatic cylinders. :D

Thankyou

Phil

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Bore refers to the inside diameter of the cylinder. The larger the bore the more force a cylinder can exert. Also, as bore size increases so does the shaft diameter making it stronger so that it can handle increased loads.

Stroke refers to the length that the cylinder shaft extends from the cylinder body.

Single acting cylinders provide power only on the extension or "push" stroke. A separate force, usually an internal spring, returns the piston to its original position in preparation for the next stroke.

Double acting cylinders have dual pressure chambers and provide pneumatic power on both extension and retraction, eliminating the need for a spring.

Reverse single acting designs are similar to single acting, but with the port on the opposite end to provide power only on the retraction or "pull" stroke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts