Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about creating a bunch of short youtube videos, each highlighting a specific skill needed in the creation of pneumatic props. I am looking for ideas on topics that someone would specifically like to see. I will be doing my pneumatics 101 class at MHC this again, and will be filming it, or another version of it afterwards, for the first how to video. After that, I am probably going to start with how to drill holes in steel properly, the basics of mig welding, the basics of cylinder placement and design, etc. Any ideas are welcome, and I will try to get to as many as possible.

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
That would be sweet! Are we talking two kinds here--pneumatic and motorized Or something that uses both in the prop? If just using motors, here's one. I'd like to make motorized swirly "eyeballs" for a vertical clown face facade. What kind of motor? Would this be something that would run using a pulley belt (thinking old record player turntable like)?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would love to see a short video on just the basics. Where to shop for the best deals and what can be accomplished with pneumatics. I've never messed with pneumatics but I'm very interested in trying and while everyone on this forum is extremely helpful those basics are usually just assumed. Will my cheap air compressor work? Is it dangerous? How can I make something cool effectively and cheaply?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I've got a pretty good grasp on the air part of it...One thing I could never get to work right is having them lift or open a door SLOWLY....It seems by the time I got enough pressure to open something, it was too fast so definitely address that....There's a certain way to drill holes in metal?...Didn't know that....I've been tempted to get a welder and try making one of those ScareFactory Zombies that come out of the tomb and stand up....It folds up like a scissor but looks very complex....I'd love to do something like that but it's not basic by any means....ZR

·
Registered
244 Posts
The most helpful thing would just be a start to finish build of some props. Just make sure you explain WHY you made some of the decisions that you made, what other options you could have chosen, and what differences that would have made to the end product. A video like that would be VERY helpful to noobs like me. :)

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Being a newbie at this kind of stuff, I would benefit greatly from a kit-like approach...i.e. here's what you need to buy (with specific part numbers even)...and then instructions with good pics to get it completed. Between my hubby and I were able to do a few projects with tutorials like that and it gave us a feeling of accomplishment as we learned. Glowing werewolf eyes run off of a 9v battery and adding an input port on a spirit ball so it could talk off of an mp3 recording are two examples of tutorials we followed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like ice456789 and Ghost of Spookie, I would also love to see or read about the basics of pneumatics. I have no experience with pneumatics whatsoever. I've read several how-to's and guides here on the forum, but some things are presumed as basic knowledge, which I just don't have. I want to know not just what (for example) a valve is, but also what it does and how it works. If I know the basics about not just what goes where but why some part is supposed to go there, I think it's easier to deviate from or elaborate on the basic design(s).

Anyway, thanks for taking the effort to make how-to videos!

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,420 Posts
The bggest issue I see is proper sizing and selection of parts and equipment needed to run a successful pneumatic system. Too many people want to skimp in this area then wonder and complain when the 12 props that they have won't run off the little 3 hp, 30 galloon tank compressor. Also a good simple guide to establish CFM requirements and how to figure the proper cylinder or device needed for a particular application. Far too many times the basis for selection is based on price. Also the importance of using PROPER parts, not homemade cylinders,dishwasher solenoids, etc. Just some of my thoughts.............

·
livin Halloween every day
1,988 Posts
I would like to see how to do a half turn with a motor. Example; a character from behind the head turns to look behind it and then back to front again. Also maybe something that shows how to do the pneumatic skelerector. the props that fold in the middle and lay flat then fully stand up when fired.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the first one done. It was by request. Someone wanted to see how to take apart and clean their solenoid valves if they got filled with water because of a lack of proper filter use. Here I show how to take apart, and reassemble a standard solenoid valve. I have more in process, but will make any that are requested first.

https://youtu.be/OLeacSAPB-c

1 - 11 of 11 Posts