Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for realistic candles that ficker, and all I can find are battery operated ones.
I need plug in ones so they can be plugged into a controller, I just don't trust a remote...batteries need to be changes ect.
Any one seen any?
And I need quite a few so I didn't want to spend alot.
I'm fine with making my own but then I need a source for realistic yellowish flickering lights on a string.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Most battery operated devices can be retrofitted with an AC to DC power supply. If you can solder, this is an easy conversion.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,031 Posts
The little cheap flicker votives often have the flicker built into the LED itself so no circuits or resistors to worry about. Just correctly solder the LEDs polarities (+-) to a 3v-5v power supply. Phone chargers are often in this range. You can run a lot of LEDs off one power source to boot. Don't go over 5v on the power supply or you will burn out the LED.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The closest I have come to finding this are the candelabras but those are pricey. Hrm maybe check christmas stuff for these too?

·
Registered
195 Posts
You can buy individual LEDs that flicker, google " 5mm yellow flicker LED ", from about 20 Cents each.
Then run them from an AC to DC 5V power supply - Note: you will need to drop the voltage via a resistor, value will depend on LED you get and how many LEDs in series and/or parallel.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,113 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yes the bulbs that show are standard bulbs but they will accommodate the flicker bulbs. I personally make my own with parts you can purchase in the lighting section of all home stores. Then I can make the cords any length I want, and i use PVC for the candle, dripped with hot glue to simulate the wax melting and paint them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
** Sorry I can't post links**
I've created flickering oil lanterns by using a bulb that looks like flame (search amazon for Red and Yellow Replacement Candle Light Bulbs) then I created the random flickering by using a florescent bulb starter (search youtube for Flicker Flashers - Flickering Light Effect With A Florescent Light Starter) . This worked good for me because I wanted an instant flickering effect, and some of the factory made flickering bulbs, need to warm up for a minute or two before they start flickering

1 - 11 of 11 Posts