Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An introduction by Mrs. Howie--

I've been browsing around this site a lot today. Starting to get my bearings for the work we'll be doing to get the Howie yard in order for this year. We celebrated Halloween in a new house last year, and found that the wind was far more damaging than it had been in our previous house. According to a report I checked out, we have an average of 2 days per October each year where wind gusts exceed 40 miles per hour. We lost a lot of decorations especially grave stones and plastic pumpkins (including an adorable 2ft diameter plastic Jack o'lantern that I really hope survived to be festive in someone else's yard). Anything that didn't have some decent weight behind it disappeared. Halloween 2013 was pretty sparse because of that.

But one of my very favorite decorations, an oversize skull with a twinkling storm sound effect, made it through the holiday. I love him so much because the interspersed fairy dust noises prevents the little ones from being scared of him. The Saturday after Halloween, we didn't get outside early enough in the day to bring everything into the garage. Late that morning, a 50ish mph gust picked him up and smashed him against the road. The whole bottom broke off! The sound still works, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to fix him (I plan to weigh him down with sand or something inside), but it was a sad day. We just packed up the pieces in the box and decided to deal with it later.

So this is our challenge: to rebuild our Halloween yard collection with wind resistant decorations. I see in threads that a number of you here have been through greater winds than us--hurricanes and tornadoes. Our historical high October wind was 73mph in 1997, which is fast but not insurmountable. I hope that the tips we find around here will help us to make a display to make us proud.

Mr. Howie is actually the bigger Halloween nerd of the two of us, but he's probably the less likely of us to be posting things. Usually, I think it's strange for two people to use one username, but in this case, there's just one location to deck out, so this makes sense to me.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Welcome! We have the same wind in Missouri and I just always keep my fingers crossed during the gales. One day every October we have wind gusts that are at least 50+ mph but it only lasts one day. I too have donated some tombstones to the wind gods!! Lol. I feel your pain about loosing your decorations/props but its just a way to make or buy better new decorations! Good luck and see you around the boards. :D

GG

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Welcome to the two of you. It must be nice to be able to create props with a spouse. Although I have to say KC supports my "habit". lol. Sorry to hear about the loss of your headstones. There is a great tutorial here about how to make new ones with PVC pipe sandwiched inside as a tunnel for rebar to keep the stoens in place. I usually put two channels in mine unless the headstone has a heavy wooden base already. I am looking forward to getting to know you better and seeing your future creations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts