Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow haunters, how are things? I need some major assistance. I live in a very windy location, I have several static props that I am trying to use to set up an incredibly spooky cemetery thing in my front yard. I have a fence that we built last year for Halloween, but the wood is too light, it keeps getting blown over. Several of my cool static props (yes, store bought. Not my first choice but my knowledge in building this stuff is weak) are also getting blown down, and destroyed.

I need some ideas to do a really creepy cemetery that won't get blown over in the wind. My budget is limited. I want a creepy fence. I want something or a couple things to jump out at people and really create a creepy atmosphere.

-Please help

·
Registered
85 Posts
I build a pallet fence and use a stake and string to keep it from blowing down. mine kept blowing backwards twords the stake so I used some pallet wood and made braces that I wedged behind the fence. It has stood up past 50 MPH winds.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey oyayubi. Welcome to a fellow Washington haunter! Are you the guy who was looking for props on Craigslist that I recommended check out the forum? If so, glad you found it!

As far as the fence goes, the easiest way to secure it would probably be to go to Home Depot and get some 3' rebar and pound them into the ground, and then use tie wraps to secure the fence to them. This would work with your props too. I use rebar to secure the majority of the props in my display. Quick, easy and cheap.

If you're looking to replace your fence entirely, many people (including me) have had great luck building them with pvc and 1x2 wood. they are easy to make and look great. These are usually secured down with rebar as well. Here's a pic of my cemetary from 2006 showing the fence.

If you have any questions on the specifics of building the fence, there's tons of tutorials on here about them. I'm happy to help with info as well! Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome!

Teckor, Yes it is me who posted the Craigslist wanted ad, I appreciate the suggestion to come on to the forum, I'm sure to get some info here.

Thank you for your suggestions, please keep'em coming!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Another Western Washington member here.

REBAR IS YOUR FRIEND!

All of my tombstones have PVC pipe glued (liquid nails) to the back. I pound rebar into the ground then just slide the pipe over the rebar. I also have static skeletons (blucky's) in my yard. I put PVC pipe in the legs of the skeletons to make them stand up and again slide the prop over rebar.
I hate dealing with the rain more than the wind :mad:

·
Registered
453 Posts
another wa haunter? Wow we are getting stronger by the day, and so are the winds, be glad you're not on Whidbey Island!
Like has been said rebar! I buy 10ft lengths, much cheaper, cut to fit.
I'm amazed my big cemetery gate is being held up with 50lb test spiderwire, seems to do the trick along with the concrete deck supports I have on the inside of my columns. I ran a line from a eye bolt on the top of the sign into the top of the tree behind just for added safety.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
I got that cheap white picket fencing from Lowe's. I pounded in tomato stakes into the ground and then screwed the fence to that, lifting it off the ground about 6 inches. Painted it, lifted up some loose pickets and added some effects. The best part? After Halloween, I just roll it up. heh. I live in Kansas and the fence laughs at 40+ mph winds.

This here used four 20' rolls:

For the tombstones, rebar baby.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We made a fence out of old fence panels that we made thinner and shorter. On a couple of the boards on each panel, we screwed two large eyehooks (one towards the top and one towards the bottom) and then we slide those over the metal posts. We use the little fence posts that are made for electrical fence, which we spray painted black. They even have a little place where you can step on them to push them into the ground. We can reuse the eyehooks and posts if we need to make new fence. We live in windy Oklahoma and they have held up very well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yard Haunts Rock

This is fantastic information, I will go to One of the hardware stores tomorrow and check out rebar and PVC. Keep the ideas coming, it's great to have people I can talk to about this stuff.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
I had a neighbor tear down over 100 feet of chain fence. Much to my wife's critisism I had no plans for it and I walked off with it anyway... but hey YOU NEVER KNOW. It sat piled for a couple of years until this year when another neighbor tore down his old treated panel fence. I walked off with that too. I took the fence poles and cut them into 3 foot sections and staked them about a foot down, and put my new weathered cemetery fence posts onto them.

Now my wife is happy there is less junk laying around, but not so happy to hear "I told you so". LOL

Not quite done but almost on account of rain today. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts