Halloween Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You could put 'mourners' on one or both sides also (or even do that afterwards...)...it matters if you already have something that would work or not.
Wow, I didn't even think of that...great idea! May just have to do that anyway. I'm already knee deep in two simple panels, just had to come inside for a few, the fumes were gettin' to me. :eek:

I think you need to add Nanny stone for all the haters in the HOA
That would be hysterical! Except that our HOA is actually a company, not people that live in the 'hood. If I have time I could whip one up with the old company name on it. We got a new company this year and it looks like I live around a bunch of Halloween folks that have been dying (no pun intended!) to decorate. Who knew I had such cool neighbors?! A sign at the entrance of our subdivision was put up over the weekend for a Halloween party and hayride for the kids this Saturday night! Not sure who organized that but it sure makes me happy! :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks AWAaviatrix! It was fairly simple, I've never made a tombstone in my life, or used a Dremmel, or worked with Drylock! I just watched Terra's tutorials which were extremely helpful. Being that they were just flat rectangles helped a lot too.

I'm finally done, and I'm kinda glad I made a mistake on the measurements, I think I like the way it turned out better than just all squares. Here's it is:

Property Garage door Garage Door Wall

Wall Room Door Bulletin board Tile

Text

Text Wall Font Concrete

Thanks for all of your help and advice, you guys are the best! :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
I was going to suggest that sticky putty, but I don't know if it will stick to foam.

Your stones look gorgeous! Like real marble! How did you make them? Did you post a how-to thread on the tutorial page?

edited to change: I just now saw your completed mausoleum! That looks AWESOME!!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
I LOOOOOVE THIS! Oh I cannot WAIT to see your night time shots with it lit up. What color lights will you be using? This is such a brilliant and freaking cool idea! I have ben trying and trying to figure out WHAT to do with the ugly garage door. This is PERFECT! Now I know how I can improve my haunt for NEXT YEAR! And magnets! Who woulda thunk it right? Sometimes it the SIMPLEST solutions that work out best. AND I alos LOVE the side panels- a perfect "mistake" indeed!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Awesome, I love it! Very cool idea. I too love the sides. It ties it all in very nicely. Well done.

I was going to suggest that sticky putty, but I don't know if it will stick to foam.

Your stones look gorgeous! Like real marble! How did you make them? Did you post a how-to thread on the tutorial page?

edited to change: I just now saw your completed mausoleum! That looks AWESOME!!!
Thank you for the kind words skid_68! and weeping angel! :)

weeping angel: I didn't post a tutorial, not really quite confident enough for that, i'm just learning myself!
But here's what I did:

1. Bought some pink insulation foam (I think it was 3/4" thick, about $12 per sheet and used 3 sheets) and measured my garage door, incorrectly, but the intention was to have the right amount of squares to cover the entire thing. I gave my dimensions to the guy at Home Depot, who cut the rectangles for me right there in the store.

2. I typed up the epitaphs using regular old word using a 150 - 200 font size, and them printed them off.

2. Taped them to the foam rectangles, an traced the words while pressing down with the pen.

3. Then pulled the paper off and used the cheapest Dremel tool (Dremel200 - $40 of well spent pure fun!) and carved the letters out.

4. Used a regular old serrated kitchen knife and drug it along the sides to add cracks and nicks and dings.

5. Sprayed spray paint in various areas, I happened to have an oil rubbed bronze color on hand, but I think any spray paint will do. It eats away at the foam and helps to give that textured stone look.

6. Painted the entire thing with Grey Drylock (gallon was $18 at Home Depot) using an old paint brush I had laying around.

5. Then painted all carved areas (mostly epitaphs) with pure black acrylic paint ($2.59 for the large size at Hobby Lobby). I also hit all of the deep cracks, and any other low spots I saw.

6. While that was still wet, I sloppily painted on a very watered down mixture of black paint. I mean VERY watered down. Way more water than paint. Started at the top and just kind of pulled down in even strokes. Once that was almost dry, I wiped my brush I was using for the watered down effect on a towel, and pulled down several times, which is what gave the streaking effect seen of some of the stones. Occasionally, I added more black paint to the letters before pulling down with watered brush to get the running, weathered effect.

7. Hit some of the stones with white mixed with just a little black acrylic paint on a very wide dry brush, but I didn't really like how it was turning out so I only did a few. Again I'm just learning so I think it may take a while to get the hang of everything.

8. Hot glued some magnets to the back of them (thanks to the brilliant minds of the good folks here!) and stuck them onto the garage door.

And that was it!

I probably watched Terra's tombstone tutorials 20 times before attempting any of this. They were extremely helpful and can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyfmBL5JuH0&list=PLBE5D3E23FEF0CAA5&index=3&feature=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FibTZIYrN7k&list=PLBE5D3E23FEF0CAA5&index=4&feature=plpp_video

It was fun and fairly easy to do, and I've gotten a lot of compliments from folks driving by. Thanks again for the kind words!

·
Registered
68 Posts
But here's what I did:

1. Bought some pink insulation foam (I think it was 3/4" thick, about $12 per sheet and used 3 sheets) and measured my garage door, incorrectly, but the intention was to have the right amount of squares to cover the entire thing. I gave my dimensions to the guy at Home Depot, who cut the rectangles for me right there in the store.
LOVE that Home Depot cut out the squares for you! I am so on this one for next year. I may make mine to run along the bottom of the house under the front windows behind my graveyard display. Hmmmm so many possibilities. You have me so inspired!

·
Registered
68 Posts
But here's what I did:

LOVE that Home Depot cut out the squares for you! I am so on this one for next year. I may make mine to run along the bottom of the house under the front windows behind my graveyard display. Hmmmm so many possibilities. You have me so inspired!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I LOOOOOVE THIS! Oh I cannot WAIT to see your night time shots with it lit up. What color lights will you be using? This is such a brilliant and freaking cool idea! I have ben trying and trying to figure out WHAT to do with the ugly garage door. This is PERFECT! Now I know how I can improve my haunt for NEXT YEAR! And magnets! Who woulda thunk it right? Sometimes it the SIMPLEST solutions that work out best. AND I alos LOVE the side panels- a perfect "mistake" indeed!
Thanks 3pinkpoodles! (love your name by the way!) I have blue floods on it now, and it looks pretty good. I may change them to red, I have both on hand so I'm going to try the red tonight. I'll post pics as soon as I get it figured out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I lit mine with a blue spotlight so the difference in color between my tan garage door and the grey stone crypt plates wasn't visible, I LOVE the candles you added! That's what mine needed...some yellow light either in candle form or from an old flickering lamp. I'll be tweaking mine for next year!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.