Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I've never been able to decorate outside before due to HOA regulations that no longer exist. I just found this out two weeks ago, so I've been busy cranking out 32 mausoleum stones for my garage door. I figured I could get that done quicker that regular tombstones, but this took quite a while too...I am one pooped chick!

Anyway, I just finished my last one, and am ready to put them up, I'm not sure how to though. The are not super heavy, made our of pink foam and covered with Drylock. I initially thought about heavy duty velcro, but my hubby is concerned it will tear the paint off the door when we peel the velcro off. Anybody have any ideas about how to go about this?

Here's a couple of pics of a few of the stones and my garage door if it helps...

photo-80.jpg

photo-81.jpg

After all that work I'm eager to put them out, with only a week to spare at that! :eek: Any and all help is greatly appreciated. :)

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
There is also a blue colored clay like adhesive.Commonly used in dorms and available at most stores.Be sure doors are clean and dry or nothing will work.

·
Registered
831 Posts
No there quite different. Command strips I believe are a white foam looking adhesive. Snot tape, well it looks like snot. lol It will stick to dirty surfaces, will handle the strongest of winds. It's much stronger than command strips. If you try to peel it off, you'll curse the day you used it, however if you stretch it while peeling, it removes very easily. I just used it to stick a 4x8 sheet of coroplast to a dirty old building during a windstorm. The stuff is top notch and I never go to a location without it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I built a mausoleum for the front of my garage. To attach it I built a pony wall. It's a short wall that my garage door actually sits on. My garage door is open about three feet off the ground. I then attached a piece of plywood to the pony wall. So now the front of my garage door is essentially plywood. On the back of the mausoleum I glued strips of 2x2. They gave me something to screw into. I put screws through the plywood into the 2x2. I built the pony wall three feet high so that my coffin can be halfway out of the garage.
Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Masking tape or painters tape works well on my garage. Make sure it's not too sticky, and test some to make sure it won't take the paint off. I only leave it on for a day or two. After putting this in strategic places on the door, I use double stick 3M tape on top of the masking/painters tape and the other side sticks to whatever I want to put on the door. Double stick 3M tape would be bad if put directly on your garage door. Don't do that! ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Buy a roll of magnetic strip cut and hot glue the strips on your styro Check to see if your garage door is steel first But it looks like it is. You can get it at your nearest hobby store alot of people use it to make fridge magnets out of it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Buy a roll of magnetic strip cut and hot glue the strips on your styro Check to see if your garage door is steel first But it looks like it is. You can get it at your nearest hobby store alot of people use it to make fridge magnets out of it.
Cool idea, simple yet effective. I like it! :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the advice guys! I ended hot gluing 5 magnetic circles to the back of the foam and it worked like a charm! It's nice because I can easily move them around and remove the top row when I need to open and close the garage door.

photo-83.jpg

BUT - now a have another bigger problem. I guess somewhere between glass of Cabernet #1 and #3 my measurements got screwy, and I'm about 3/4" off on each side. :( I also didn't take into consideration the handles in the lower middle portion of the door but I'm not too worried about that because if I have to I could just notch out those couple of stones. Now I'm left as to what to do for either side. I have the rest of the stones for both sides but they're too wide. I'm thinking I could quickly make some sort of flat columns of something. Any ideas?

photo-82.jpg

·
Registered
231 Posts
You could make some quick blank one's (smaller in width) for future customers...or filler strips between the stones already placed ... or just move the stones so a portion of the door is seen between the column of stones...probably would not be as noticeable at night!

By the way, it looks GREAT!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You could make some quick blank one's (smaller in width) for future customers...or filler strips between the stones already placed ... or just move the stones so a portion of the door is seen between the column of stones...probably would not be as noticeable at night!

By the way, it looks GREAT!
Thanks for the compliment! I tried moving the stones apart but it looks kind silly because the tops and bottoms are flush up against each other so what is left is big wide vertical white stripes! Doesn't look so great.

If you do flat sheets (like a column) you could add some cheap plastic flower vases with dead/black flowers in them
Good idea. I already have an extra sheet of foam here, so I may just quickly cut out two flat panels and adorn them with stuff. Looks like I'm headed out to dollar tree, I'm hoping they'll have a couple of the skull door knockers left as well as some flowers.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Back from Dollar Tree, no door knockers left. I did go to Hobby Lobby and picked up a couple of crosses though. Guess I know what I'll be doing tonight! Typical me, 6 days before the big night and I'm still running around trying to get stuff done! :eek:

Thanks so much for all of your help. I let you know how it turns out!

·
Registered
231 Posts
You could put 'mourners' on one or both sides also (or even do that afterwards...)...it matters if you already have something that would work or not.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
23 Participants
scaryflying
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing