Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Okay, I'm stumped. I came across this small air compressor that I had bought in 1991 and really never used. It was for the optical industry to cool off heat-tempered eyeglass lenses. It appears to have been made my these folks but is no longer listed on their site.

It says on it: "Thomas Industries, Inc., Airpower Division, Motor 60810, Model 905AA18B, 115V/60 Hz/2.3 A."

I just tested it and it runs fine. It blows quick, pulsating puffs that are much softer than my large 120 PSI garage unit.

What I am looking to do is see what I can use it for...mainly I was hoping to run a small airbrush that I could use for painting props.

Can someone please give me their two-cents worth?

Thanks in advance,

-Doc

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
That type is called a diaphragm compressor they tend to run constantly.
You can get them at Hobby Lobby or the Hobby supply stores. but, for the same amount of money you can get nice small compressor from Sears or places like that.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,448 Posts
From what I could gather from their website, that compressor should be perfect for an airbrush. I would put a regulator and pressure gauge on the outlet then run the hose to the airbrush, set the pressure low and try it. Raise the pressure as needed until you get the desired results. It seems that on a comprable model it only puts out 30psi max. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
629 Posts
That type of compressor is usually used for airbrushes, they don't generate a very high psi though even with an auxilliary tank.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Pulse

Kinda wonder about the pulse aspect of the compressor as it relates to an air brush. I have an air brush that runs off canned air. Airflow is very steady. I think with a pulse output your gonna see a lot of spitting from the brush. I suspect a tank and regulator would be required to establish an even flow of air. IMHO.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pulse may be a problem for me. Since I want an airbrush, any one in articular folks like?

-Doc

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,448 Posts
You should invest in a auxiliary tank, to give a move even flow and also you can add a regulator to the tank to regulate the air pressure. the diaphragm pump on its own will pulsate the air pressure.
I forgot all about the pulsing:eek: I think that just as Caretaker stated a small tank should cure that problem. If you go that route make sure there is a relief valve on the tank.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is not a compressor it is a vaccum pump uesd in ambulances it is hard mounted on the unit and pulls suction through a collection canister for clearing debri from patienta airways if needed. It should have a fitting for the hose that matches on the other side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts