Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried using polycrylic, or clear floor polish, for the goop in paper mache so once it's dried it'a already water resistant? I am going to try it out unless i can find some evidence that it's a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last night I finally got around to doing tests. I originally made this guy with packing tape, then decided I didn't want him translucent so tried spray filler paint and the tape just looked awful and that's when I got the idea for the plasticmache.

Head Sculpture Human body Art Headgear

The areas with the paper soaked in polycrylic are a lot smoother than the tape. Perhaps not as smooth as I'd really like but this is just the first pass. If I started from scratch with the paper it would obviously be better but I'd rather just experiment on this for now. Not happy with the teeth at all so those will be cut off and replaced with smooth on air epoxy putty. I am also going to add some forhead ridges and other details with that stuff before proceeding with another layer of paper.

It feels fantastic, like actual plastic! It really does and it's so light. Really the paper and dried poly is adding almost no weight. This is not the cheapest solution, but so far I am really liking the results and knowing that once it's all painted it will be very water resistant makes me happy.

*EDIT* Looking at the picture when I cut the teeth off I am going to enlarge the mouth in both width and length. He has too much chin! I also need to figure out how I am going to do his lower half at some point.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I started him over. I decided I wanted him to be larger and used one of the large skulls from Target as a base. I just got the mache skull off the plastic one, mounted it to the PVC pipe 'skeleton' and am testing out one of the arms. SHoulders may still be too wide Might whack an inch or two off there. He's going to be a lot taller, obviously but the great thing about using a PVC pipe stand is it is modular so I can not have to be on a ladder to work on him right now.

Theatrical property Wood Plant Skeleton Sculpture

Next up the long lower jaw and more layers of paper mache on his head and to start building up his neck.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tree Branch Plant Houseplant Wood

A bit more progress on my fiend. Need to finish building the lower jaw, and put another layer of crap on him, then I'll use some epoxy putty to build teeth and do some details on his face.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Skeleton Hand Skull Bone Arm

In 2 days once this last layer of paper mache is completely dry he'll be ready to go out and get the base painting started. Still not 100% sure what pose I am going to have him in ultimately but when I know I can build his torso so it's at the correct angle. His arms aren't fixed, in fact they can come completely off so I have some ideas I can play with.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nothing like a coat of primer to reveal every problem with a project. Now where did I put that huge thing of gesso?

OK he's not looking too bad but I really need to find my gesso and slap on a layer or two of that to smooth him out, probably do some serious sanding too. Then I can think about building the rest of him. I probably am going to have him be mostly grey but after I get his base paint done I'll hit him with the airbrush for detailing. Maybe when he is dry I will temporarily install the red LED in his head to see how that looks.

Skeleton Tree Grass Sculpture Lawn ornament

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Statue Sculpture Art Tree Fictional character

Worked on the monster tonight. Finished up the solid fabric and did a coat of plastidip to stiffen the fabric and seal the foam. Trying to decide if he needs more wispy bits or not. Almost out of foam but I could do a couple more I think. If not next I will start with the flat black and grey spray paint phase.
The goal at this point is to make him look like something out of a Souls game or maybe Bloodborne, because reasons.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts