Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone has used Plasti Dip for prop making?
I started experimenting with it recently.
A friend of mine uses it to coat the foam battle weapons he makes and sells for LARP (live action role play)
I bought a can (the kind you dip things into) of it at Home Depot to try it out. I also picked up a can of the Plasti Dip spray.
It seems to work rather well. I coated a piece of foam wire https://www.harrisseeds.com/storefront/s-274-plant-supports-ties.aspx
with it, and it gave it a nice rubber coating with a couple of dips. It seems to be a lot more durable than latex.
I'm also experimenting with the spray. I'm coating the socket joints on a skeleton I'm doing for P5.
I normally just paint the socket joints, but the paint tends to wear off in those areas when you move the arms and legs for posing purposes.
Here's a link to the website. Seems like a multitude of possibilities for this stuff.

http://www.plastidip.com/
20150104_105647.jpg

20150104_121313.jpg

20150104_182941.jpg

20150104_182341.jpg

All phone pictures WIP skeleton two headed bird etc 178.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
I actually used the rattle can version on the wheels on my car 2 years ago. I wanted a matte black wheels and it looks fantastic. I have only had to do a touch up on a few rock chips once and it blended perfectly. 4 thin coats is super durable. I have also used it a few times on props where i need a quick matte black color. This is just a positive review on the incredible durability of this stuff!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have used both the dip and spray. Both are great products. I've used the dip for tool handles, and even one a snow mobile brake lever. The spray work good at weather sealing too.

·
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just did a test with the Plasti Dip spray on a block of the beaded foam, and it did eat away at the foam a little.
As far as the foam covered wire I "dipped" it did not affect the foam at all.
I'm going to continue experimenting with this product. I'm going to test to see if it can be primed and painted too.

20150104_183015.jpg

Also interested if it melts the foam away or not?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have lurked here for quite awhile and this is my first advice so: Plastidip is used to top coat foams in LARP weapon manufacture. It will not eat EVA, XLPE, Non XLPE, camp pad, mc, upholstery foam.

It will do things to styrene, eps, and pink insulation board.

I run The plastidip artist group on facebook, tons of info on what kinds of foams it will work on or not there as well as a huge community of foam fabricators to ask questions of.

·
Registered
14,078 Posts
A PlastiDip artist group on FB! Who would have thought! I remember buying a jar of this stuff back in the 70s to coat something metal. Haven't thought of it since. Didn't even know it was still being made or was now available in a spray. Interesting thread and thanks for the info on some of the materials to use and avoid.

BTW not on FB, will I be able to see your posts? Regardless I'm sure people would appreciate a link Justin Baker.

·
Registered
14,078 Posts
Might be a Cool way to do haunt advertising!

Just spent a bit of time on the Irish website for Plastidip. Wow has this product come a long way. Blown away by people "dipping" their cars. :eek:
The chameleon colored ones are eye-catchers. They even have a plastidip in GID. More halloween like!

I could see doing a dipped car in black with GID skeleton framing added on top for halloween time. Can't begin to imagine what the cost is to dip a car but cool you can later peel it off in sheets basically without damaging the finish. Still would use it on an old car though. This might be cool advertising for a haunt--you know driving around at night with a GID skelly dipped car in the weeks leading up and during the haunts opening. Then peel it off afterwards.

·
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info! :D
Very informative!

So I have lurked here for quite awhile and this is my first advice so: Plastidip is used to top coat foams in LARP weapon manufacture. It will not eat EVA, XLPE, Non XLPE, camp pad, mc, upholstery foam.

It will do things to styrene, eps, and pink insulation board.

I run The plastidip artist group on facebook, tons of info on what kinds of foams it will work on or not there as well as a huge community of foam fabricators to ask questions of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts